iChat not working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PixelPaige, Jul 8, 2010.

1. PixelPaige macrumors newbie

First off, I'm a newbie here :D Finally Decided to finally join, I've been a mac user all my life but just got a MacBook Pro two weeks ago.

So, I haven't had too many issues, (and I hope this is in the right section) but I'm having trouble with iChat. Video isn't working for me. I have narrowed it down to it being my router, under Connection Doctor ichat says "Router: Symmetric" and then: "This computer's network set up includes one or more devices that are not fully compatible with audio and video chatting."

Can anyone help me? What should I change my router to and how do I go about doing that?

Also, can I change it right on my laptop or do I have to go manually work with the harddrive? Thanks in advance! :)

~Paige

(should move this to Mac help)

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Don't use ichat. It's nothing but issues from my experience. Try giving Skype a go!

3. tigger5 macrumors newbie

Skype ???.....
    Personaly, it doesn't hold a candle next to iChat..

Try the usual to begin with..
    restarting and zapping the pram...
    make sure no other camera/mike is connected
    fire up iChat, make sure the camera is selected in ichat prefs

once 100% sure it is not the comp, then we'll see for the router..might help to know what make/model the router is...

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

That's cool that you think that! Just like I think Skype works well for me.

OP, try downloading Skype. It will find all of you hardware and it works the first time. You don't have to search for ways to troubleshoot