iChat PROBLEM - AIM users DISAPPEARING!? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 20, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

For some reason, every-time I add an AIM user on my iChat, they disappear from my buddy list. They're name blinks like twice, but then his name disappears.

Why is this happening?

Thanks,

Josh

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Are they online? If they aren't, they won't stay there unless you turn on the feature to show offline buddies.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I had this issue with my father. He would pop up for 1 or 2 seconds and then disappear even though he was still online (we were diagnosing the problem on the phone). Once he added me to his address book with the correct name and I did the same to him once the misspelled screen names were corrected everything worked. For some reason incorrect spellings in address book will cause problems even if you delete the buddy from the list and re-add it manually. It seems to think what you have in Address Book is correct and therefore changes what you've added. This happens in Leopard and Tiger.

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, they're online.
    They do add to my buddy list for a few seconds, then after I make a click or IM them, or wait it out, they disappear.

My iChat friend stays though.
    Ah!!!

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Could be that they are set to invisible while online.

6. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Shot in the dark -
    I was having a similar problem with Adium which was resolved when I installed the new version of Plaxo.
    (I had the older version on there already and it was causing the real names of people in my list to simply turn blank.)

So if you have Plaxo or some other app that screws with your address book, try upgrading it.

If not... idk.

7. odagled macrumors member

this happens to me too. I found that if you sign off and sign back on, they appear. Its a little inconvenient, but its not that bad. Try it!

8. peterjun macrumors member

try using Adium imo its better than iChat if you're not into video chatting

9. phidler macrumors newbie

10. phidler macrumors newbie

nevermind. just deleted the ichat .plist from my library and it solved the issue!

11. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

12. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

iChat buddies appear for 2 seconds, then disappear

I'm having the same problem, and none of the suggested solutions on various sites have helped. I removed the iChat .plists (all 5 of them, yes with iChat closed). I checked for misspellings in the Address Book. I even downloaded the (now antiquated) iChat client from aim.com to check the buddy lists in it, which were fine. But nothing I've done has gotten certain buddies to show up in the Buddies list of iChat (others do show up--it seems random which do & don't appear). AIM works fine, Adium works fine. But I want to use iChat so I can make use of the screen sharing feature (since "Back To My Mac" also does not work.) I fear we may have to chalk up iChat as another part of Leopard that is still only partially baked. :(