iChat Problems... please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wingnut8, May 10, 2008.

1. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I have been experiencing problems with iChat for the past couple months. iChat will unexpectedly quit after being open for about 3 min. If I try to start a chat it will open a new chat, but with no contact. If I try to add a contact to the chat it still will not send it. I am using Adium as of now, but would like to be able to screen share and video chat at times. I have called Apple Care and they tried a few things but said I need to reinstall Leopard.

If anyone has any suggestions so I don't have to reinstall that would be great.

Thanks

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Have you tried deleting the preference files for iChat?

They would be in your Home Folder/Library/Preferences. You can remove anything that starts with com.apple.ichat. Make sure you have iChat closed before you remove the files, and then relaunch iChat. You will have to enter your account info, and set any preferences again.

See if that helps...

3. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

That was the first thing I tried

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

So if you open ichat, and just have your buddy list open, without any chats, it dies after three minutes?

5. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Give or take a minute.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Thats a tough one. Something it is doing in the background must be causing it to crash. Sounds like some part of iChat is corrupted. I don't think there is anyway to restore it unless you have another Mac with the same version of OS X.

What about looking in your system logs on console? Maybe one will show info on iChat crashing?

7. wingnut8 thread starter macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Well I seem to have fixed the problem. I went and took iChat from my iMac and dragged it over to my app. folder on the MBP and it has been working for the last few hours.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Great! It is amazing how helpful it can be to have access to a 2nd machine like that...and thats a heck of a lot easier than reinstalling OS X...