iChat Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chattahoochee, Jul 6, 2013.

1. chattahoochee macrumors 6502

Setting up ichat, I have two Apple computers in my office so I thought I would use ichat between the two and learn the ropes, WRONG !!! I followed the tutorials & written instructions for setting up ichat. I even set up an account with a different users name & password. Now, when I select "Available", Im ask to log in, using my standard email login or imac account users name & password I get: "ichat can't login to AOL instant messenger because your login ID or password is incorrect".
    Where did I go wrong ?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Which operating system are you using? Do you have an Internet connection at the office for these Mac's?

3. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard: 10.6.8 & Lion 10.7.4 We have internet in the office, both computers are active on the email & internet.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you tried using Adium? It's probably the most popular IM client for the Mac.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Exactly which tutorials and written instructions? Be specific. Post the URLs.

6. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Set up iChat | MacTips This is just one of the instructions I followed. I have selected :"AIM" for the process. You mentioned: "ADIUM" this was not one of the choices listed.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Adium is a separate app. Click the link in the other post to see it. Give it a try, it will probably work for you.

8. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

From my brief research it appears ichat & yahoo don't see eye to eye. I use Yahoo.com as my server. However, one comment I observed during my research was to use "Jabber" when having yahoo mail server. Im going to give it a try. P.S. I downloaded "ADIUM" as suggested, the same dilemma, could no sign in.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You may want to confirm your login credentials then. You should be able to log in unless they're wrong or it could be that your office is blocking the service.

10. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, Jabber didn't pan out, tried to connect then timed out "ichat can't communicate with jsbber" So, Im stuck, between a rock & a hard place !
    Your mention of "Office blocking my connection" both mac's have yahoo as the server, that is the only thing they have in common, both wireless, using the same router.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't understand what you mean by 'both Mac's have Yahoo as the server.' What does that mean? Is it Yahoo's IM service you're referring to?

Are you able to use the same account and service on another computer at a different location?

12. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

To answer your question, simply, we (the Wife & I) use yahoo as the server rather were using PC or Mac. If using another computer where ever, the same log in to Yahoo will bring up our mail. Therefore, login to ichat has me in a rut !

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I apologize, but I still do not understand what you mean by 'Yahoo as the server.'