iChat problems

LaurenNEiA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
MA
so I'm trying to log onto iChat with my AIM address and password and everything. It will log me on for two seconds, enough for me to see the buddy list and then automatically kick me off...has this happened to anybody?? Does anyone know what to do??

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
so I'm trying to log onto iChat with my AIM address and password and everything. It will log me on for two seconds, enough for me to see the buddy list and then automatically kick me off...has this happened to anybody?? Does anyone know what to do??
Are you logged on somewhere else, which might be auto-reconnecting and giving iChat the boot?

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I could never get iChat to stay connected with AIM. Exact same problem as you. I got a trial .Mac membership and haven't had a single problem connecting with that account.

LaurenNEiA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
MA
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who is still having these problems!!!!!! It's ridiculous! It's the one thing I havent got to work yet...it's driving me insane!!! I've tried everything except installing other software.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who is still having these problems!!!!!! It's ridiculous! It's the one thing I havent got to work yet...it's driving me insane!!! I've tried everything except installing other software.
Sometimes routers with unknown set ups affect iChat.

Try setting the port with which iChat connects to AIM to 443.

You can do this by going to iChat>Preferences>Accounts
-Choose your AIM account.
-Select the "Server Settings" tab.
-In the box where it says, "5190," insert "443".