ichat problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SooTyLaD, Nov 24, 2007.

1. SooTyLaD macrumors member

i've got a few problems with iChat and was wondering if anyone could shed some light?

• i get terrible high pitched feedback when using the macbook's mic and speakers, if i use external speakers it stops... anyone know what can be done about this?

• instead of iChat, it comes up at the top of the contact list as AIM, but i dont use AOL whats that about? maybe thats the source of my next query...

• it wouldn't let me share my screen with a mate, it comes up "Failed to start Screen Sharing because: Screen sharing could not be established." - anyone know why this is?

• i've signed in with my .mac account (60 day trial) but not sure if i'm going to keep the .mac... if you loose .mac do you loose ichat? or at least the ability to talk to other .mac ichat buddies?

2. shaunomacx macrumors member

shaunomacx

• i get terrible high pitched feedback when using the macbook's mic and speakers, if i use external speakers it stops... anyone know what can be done about this?

Check your output levels, your volume from the speakers may be picked up on your mic, alternatively check Line-In under Sound on the System Prefs

• instead of iChat, it comes up at the top of the contact list as AIM, but i dont use AOL whats that about? maybe thats the source of my next query...

AIM is just one of the protocols used in iChat as well as .mac addresses, basically its like a cheap mans msn....wait i mean that to say, if you could connect your msn account on .mac it would take alot of problems away from having to use MSN Messenger. Ignore it and add your .mac friends to here regardless.

• it wouldn't let me share my screen with a mate, it comes up "Failed to start Screen Sharing because: Screen sharing could not be established." - anyone know why this is?

Both running Leopard? Im not sure I think you need to have the same OS on both systems, not sure if this feature will work with one Tiger based system.

• i've signed in with my .mac account (60 day trial) but not sure if i'm going to keep the .mac... if you loose .mac do you loose ichat? or at least the ability to talk to other .mac ichat buddies?[/QUOTE]

My trial expired in January but I still have my iChat login :)

Worry not, you just dont get any .mac benefits such as email etc. iChat is permanently linked to you now muahahahah

3. SooTyLaD thread starter macrumors member

so it dispays AIM even though its not using AIM and i am indeed using the .mac stuff? thats not very "apple" is it...

with regards to running multiple accounts on one app, Adium does a great job of this its running my google talk and msn accounts beautifully if only it supported the video side of things for .mac it'd be complete :)

(oh and it'd be great if it ran skype but that aint gonna happen)

yeah both computers are on leapard with up to date software so any other ideas with the screen sharing?