iChat Problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by david3558, Apr 1, 2009.

1. david3558 macrumors newbie

I just got my Macbook Pro last week and so far, everything has been going great with it, it's my first Mac and I really like it! However, one thing truly bothers me, whenever I use iChat, a box(es) often pop up basically saying that I've been disconnected from the AIM server. The weird thing is usually I can continue on receiving messages but the ones I send out don't really go through. This could happen multiple times every hour so it's really beginning to bug me. I tried using AIM (for OSX) and it never disconnected but I'd much rather stick with iChat....any suggestions? (Which settings should I use, should I port forward, which ports, etc)

Thanks so much in advance,
    David

Also: any MUST HAVE free software I should download?

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

I use Adium for my chatting needs.

It integrates AIM, MSN, yahoo. etc all together. and whats best you can change themes around. If you look around you can download the proper themes to get the ichat feel on Adium.

I actually like adium better because it doesnt give me those gazillion popups like how ichat gives you when you accidently disconnect

3. david3558 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've used Adium and I really like it but I need to have the audio/video chat functions...otherwise I'd really stick with Adium overall. Its a real bummer that it can't do audio/video.

Any suggestions on how to fix this whole iChat crap thats going on?

Thanks!

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well yeah, the no video/audio chat on adium is the downfall. but im waiting for they say that they are working on the video/audio feature.

in the meantime i switch to ichat for those stuff but i rarely use it anyways

and no you cant fix that problem i have tried to find a way to disable those annoying popups. one of the main reasons i moved to adium