iChat question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMosher, Jun 3, 2007.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Hey,

I am trying to do a video chat with a friend from home and not having much luck. I figured it was because one of our router's were blocking it, so I enabled DMZ for our computers (she has a PC and is using AIM) and still no luck.

Im thinking it might be becaue one of our internet connections may be to slow and wondering what is the slowest connection you can do a video chat with, and how to check each of out connections.

Any other suggestions are deffinitly welcome

Thanks as always,

Mark

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

EDIT: I was wrong
    Try Mercury Messenger, Skype or aMSN :)

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

...yes it does. For the first 4/5 months I had my Mac, it didn't. Then one day, it did. Now, I can video chat with every Windows AIM user I have on my buddy list. If I remember correctly, it started working after the 10.4.9 update. Have you installed that update?

4. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

I have and I am still having difficulties.

I would prefer to continue using iChat if it can work... but if not I will try out what you have suggested psychofreak

Thanks
    Mosher

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Oopsy daisy...

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I video chatted with PC users last year while abroad. I found that the problems were usually on the PC end (no surprise) especially if they were using AIM.

I had much better luck using Skype and MSN messenger (no video if I remember correctly or only 1 way because MS sucks, but at least I got sound and it helped me diagnose the problem).

Sometimes it worked better if the PC person initiated the video conf instead of me. *shrugs*

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It works with PCs, i video chat with PC users all the time. On the other hand, i very often have trouble both video chatting and audio chatting. Make sure the firewire settings will allow you it. If its on the PC end (which in my experience it is) i dont know how to help.

8. brandon6684 Guest

I use SightSpeed to talk to my wife. It works fairly well.

9. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I hope leopard has a huuuuuuuuuge upgrade for ichat. I hate using ichat now cause its really unstable on my machine

10. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

11. brandon6684 Guest

SightSpeed it it's own network like Skype. SIP based I think.