iChat question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Meave, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Meave macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I have a quick question on the iChat application, I can't seem to do a video conference with anyone. When selecting a friend there is no camera option there to select. We are both using AOL IM and both have brand new iMac's. Is there something that I'm missing here? Do you have to be using a .mac account to do a video chat?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You don't need a .Mac account to video chat. I have used iChat with AIM accounts to video chat.

To confirm there's no video icon next to your friend's screenname.

Maybe it's an issue with your router or firewall? See here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1507

3. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Unfortunately I need to use MSN on iChat, I can do this through Jabber right?

4. Povilas macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Sometimes it takes time camera icon to appear, at least for me. I have wireless network at home and sometimes ichat shows that client on the other end has camera instantly and sometimes doesn't show at all. I believe this is due to wireless signal qualitym but you DO NOT NEED .MAC for video chat to work.

5. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

The router is most likely the culprit. I was having problems connecting to a bunch of friends with iMacs or MacBooks until I bought a new Linksys router. Once it set up the new router, I was suddenly able to do video chats with those people.

It could also be your firewall. Or it could just be stupid iChat, it's not been the most reliable application.

6. Meave thread starter macrumors newbie

Just opened up my router to allow my iMac to bypass everything. Can some one test this out for me by adding me to their buddy list to check to see if it's my computer or my friends?

AOL name: themeave

Thanks!