IChat Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Aug 21, 2007.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am new to Macs and I'm not sure I fully understand the Ichat application. I already have an AOL IM account which I have configured to use for Ichat, but I think there is more to it. I'm not sure what Bonjour is. Is that another service like AOL IM?

I thought that maybe Ichat could be configured to be used for both Yahoo IM and AOL as well as other chat clients, but I'm not sure. Is it more for use with other Ichat clients?

Thanks!

2. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

iChat just allows AIM and .mac accounts.

If you want support for multi-clients, go check out AdiumX. I use that 99% of the time. I only use iChat to sign onto another AIM name or if I want to video/audio chat.

Does anyone know if its possible to NOW groups two screen names into one area? I have two screen names that have nearly the same amount of names (same names too) and they group them and I don't want that. I want both accounts seperate, similar to AIM on Windows.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

iChat also works with Google chat via Jabber. I'm pretty sure it can be configured to work with MSN and Yahoo too. I was just reading about it today, but didn't bookmark the sites. Sorry.