IChat Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Aug 23, 2007.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

How do most of you use Ichat? I'm new to the Mac, and I think I may be missing something. Right now I'm using it with AOL, but I was just reading about another IM program called Jabber. I don't know anything about this other service. I guess what I'm not understanding is do most Ichat users connect to Apple servers, or is Ichat just a front end to use AOL, Jabber and other services?

I'd be interested to know how you are all using Ichat, how is Jabber different from AOL, and if you can set-up the client to use multiple services. Thanks everyone!!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iChat is essentially just a front end for two chat protocols, AIM and Jabbar. Now Jabbar can be manipulated to communicated with Google's GTalk among others.

You can only be logged into a single account at any one time with iChat. If you require multiple accounts active simultaneously check out Adium, I run that and am currently logged into about 10 accounts simultaneously on 4 different chat protocols (AIM, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo).

3. Jodie.Maring macrumors newbie

i was wondering....

I was wondering if i was able to use MSN Messenger on a MacBook? i don't really know how to use Ichat yet... I'm new to Apple. if anyone can help please tell me :) thanks