iChat resolution?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Karvel, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

I remember reading the Snow Leopard blurb on the Apple website that the maximum resolution was improved for iChat? Or is this just for the iChat Theater function?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it is 640x480. They also lowered the broadband needed for that, from 900kbps to 300kbps.

3. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

So it's the same resolution but less bandwidth required? Meh, still an improvement.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, resolution was lower in Leopard, I guess. Bandwitch thing gets respect from me, my max is 225KB/s

5. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Resolution was lower in iChat theater, that has been increased to 640x480, and the bandwidth reduced to 300K..

Has anyone had issues with one way video chats? I've tried a few with my Dad (5 minutes away) and my brother in Texas and the audio tends not to connect frequently, requiring hangups/reconnections.

I've seen this from my dads MBA to my brother in TX and from my MPB and Mac Pro to both my father and my brother.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

iChat Theatre had TERRIBLE resolution. now it us upgraded.

if you look here you can see that iChat Theatre was stated. i've had no problems with video chats, or at least - not any more than i used to

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

7. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Were the people you were chatting with also running Snow Leopard?

It was fine talking to someone on leopard, but snow leopard to snow leopard would frequently cause no audio to connect.

8. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to figure this one out. I put SL on my machine and my girlfriends this weekend. Last night we tried it out and the compression was horrible. Realize that resolution and quality are two different things. I checked and thought it said we were pushing 500kbps each way. Fans on both machines were running medium high. As far as we're concerned, this is a downgrade and would rather have the old iChat back. Maybe we're missing something here.