ichat running using 200% cpu, but

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shahrukahn, Jul 12, 2012.

1. shahrukahn macrumors newbie

it isn't installed on my iMac. I got this problem the other day when trying to use disk utility to fix an old hard drive that Lion wouldn't recognize because it was formatted under Snow Leopard. When running the check or verify permissions, all of a sudden ichat shows up on my istat menu using 200%. I don't have it installed on my computer. After restarting my computer and it going back to normal, today, a few days later I notice the same thing. Anyone experienced anything like this before?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

iChat is installed by default on all Macs... are you sure you don't have it installed? If you removed it, what process did you use?

3. shahrukahn thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed the messages beta. iChat doesn't show up in my applications folder, and a spotlight search shows just files of previous iChats. I forgot to mention, the big problem I was having, I would quit iChat when it was using a lot of CPU, and my screen would dim, starting from the top, then a text box would appear in the center telling me to hold the power button until my computer turned off, then press the power button to turn it back on. And the same message appeared in a few different languages. So I had assumed when it showed iChat running it was actually something else and that's why my computer would lock up when I closed it.

4. stiligFox, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I can't help you with the kernel panic, but iMessage is actually the new iChat, which it installs over. I think that maybe that's what you are seeing, but I'm not sure.

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Nope. It is called Messages in activity monitor.
    [​IMG]

6. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I could have sworn... Are you running ML by chance? I could have sworn that there was still a process called iChat running even with iMessages installed. Hmm my bad. Well then I have no idea. It sounds like a part of iChat is trying to rise out of the dead.. A borked iMessages install then?

7. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Your computer's ALU must be broken. It is impossible to use 200% of a single CPU. By definition a CPU can only work at 100%.

8. shahrukahn thread starter macrumors newbie

The 200% is because it's an i7. So, four cores and two threads per core, means that 800% would be using all the CPU. Luckily I bought apple care
    about two weeks before the warranty ended, because I think something is seriously wrong with my computer. Why else would a rogue program I don't have crash my computer?

9. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Im in lion.

10. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Wow, my bad. I'm finding no iChat process whatsoever, so... I have no idea what's wrong with the OP's system.

I'm sorry for the misinformation!