ichat says I cant do multiperson video chat :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watermelon, Aug 19, 2008.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Yup, any suggestions PLEASE? Thanks!
    It makes no sense...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

3. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Hahaha!

4. Julio macrumors newbie

The irony of the OP's signature and the first question he is asked when he has a technical issue is just too much to ignore.

I love it!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can see the detailed requirements for each chat type at each quality level here.

Given your fairly low bandwidth up stream I'd say that's the issue. With the up-speed you have you can only host a multi-way chat at 80x60 pixels...

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

LOL!!!! i love it. this is why its good to have your setup in your signature, so people can help you out. its not so people can show off, everyone here for the most part owns macs so unless you have a 10K+ mac pro rig then its pointless to show off.

7. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

lol it's just a joke, it's not to sound mean or anything
    And take a look at which forum its posted in
    the macbook pro forum
    hmm....

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I have much slower internet than that, but I can still do multi-person chats.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I've only participated, not hosted.

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

It's his upstream. That's the thing with Roadrunner, they have nice downstream, but cheat on the up.
    It work's with FiOs as well...depending on the bandwidth tier you choose.

[​IMG]

That's mine. It works fine when my friend uses his MBP on my network. You need at least 1800 kbs down AND UP to initiate at high quality.

With direct FTP I get about 17,000 kbps...and normally I get around 2100 upload (not shown in that test) but I'm looking at upgrading to Optimum Online BOOST for 30,000 kbps :]

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Goddamn, that's fast. Makes me jealous, on my 1-1.5 Mbps connection. :mad::p:D

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

edit: nvm again!

please excuse me, i'm tired. :eek:

12. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

It turned out it wasn't my up, and I just randomly started working today.
    In the past I've been able to initiate a 3 way video without problems, I'm not sure what went wrong.
    Yeah, Road Runner is really annoying with their up stream. It's ridiculous that I can get almost 2500KB/s down and only around 50KB/s up :(
    I was looking at optimum online boost, but it wasn't availible in my area.
    In fact, road runner is the only one available in my area (11209) unfortunately.

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

That's good that things worked out. Probably just some network hiccup somewhere along the line to your house. The whole zoning of ISPs is pretty weird. I have Optimum Online, but my friend who lives about 5 miles from me cannot get it...and we don't live in the country or anything.

Anyone else reading, some people say bad things about Optimum Online (really people do about any service) but from experience of having it since the first day and going through all the bandwidth tier upgrades, I haven't had ANY problems. In the past six months I've had around 15 minutes of downtime.

Glad you can chat again though!

14. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

iChat is finicky and unpredictable, and just starts or stops working for any reason at any time. That's been my experience with it after using it extensively for 1.5 years.

Only thing that did make a long-term noticeable difference is when I bought a new Linksys router. Suddenly I was able to iChat with people that I couldn't before.

15. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

Haha, yes, sorry about that first post. That's what I get for not paying attention. At least y'all got a good laugh. Your welcome.