ichat screen name problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Powerblaster, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Powerblaster macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I have a question and it's driving me crazy. I just created a screen name for my mom and when I try to add it to my buddy list with ichat it came on for 2 seconds and then disappear, and now I'll never know if she's online or not because her name doesn't come up. Her name doesn't even show up in the offline section. Now if I sign on aim on my pc I can see her perfectly fine. Ok so I did another test I have another aim screen name that I use while I'm at work. I added her screen name to that and ichat see's it perfectly fine. I also signed onto my pc just to test it and I'm still able to see her screen name. So I go back to my home account and I still can't see her screen name for some reason. Her account is set to allow every user to be able to im her and same with my account I really have no clue what's going on here. If you have any ideas as to what's causing this that would be a great help thanks. :confused:

2. Powerblaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess no one knows what's going on lol figures these crazy things that no one knows about would happen to me lol

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Don't know how to solve your problem, but what happens if she tries to send you an IM, do you get it?

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm having this same exact problem, and it's (#*$ing me off.

Update, after more searching I stumbled across this, and it fixed my problem.

Quit iChat:

Go to:
    hard drive/users/(your account)/library/preferences

Delete: com.apple.iChat.plist

Empty your trash.

Re-launch iChat - the "initial sign-in" window will appear - but your user name and password should still be up from before. Just click "sign-in" and you should be cool. FYI - the com.apple.iChat.plist (the one that got deleted) will automatically be replaced.

5. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I did all of this, and it is still acting up with this screen name BS. I also checked, and that plist wasn't replaced. Anyone else have any suggestions? This is KILLING me!