iChat Screen Share fails

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HeadGear, Mar 5, 2012.

1. HeadGear macrumors member

I have 3 iMac's at 2 different locations. I can Screen Share using iMac without problems at location 1, however at location 2 it always fails. This isn't the first time I've ever seen this type of issue, and I've updated every Mac to the newest updates I restart the machines, log out, delete iChat accounts, etc but nothing works.

Any idea why some people get these errors? All new iMacs that were bought 2 months ago, trying to communicate with a MacBook Air and Pro also purchased in that time frame.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably a firewall problem. Do you have control over the router at the location where you're having trouble?

jW

3. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do. All mac's have the same setup and settings and Airport Extreme router with same settings.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The Airport Extreme should open the ports for that automatically. As I understand it, iChat's Screen Sharing basically uses a random port to connect, so it gets the router to open the port on the firewall as needed. This feature is available on the Airport Extreme and should be enabled by default, but you can check by opening Airport Utility and finding the checkbox for "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol". In the new Airport Utility, it's in the Network tab. I don't recall on the old version exactly where it's located.

jW