iChat screen sharing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I used to be able to open up iChat and screen share with contacts. I don't see iChat is available any longer and it was very easy.

Since iChat is not available how do I easily screen share with another iMac? I've looked in Facetime and I don't see an option to screen share.

I am able to screen share with my own computer back at the house very easily with "Back To My Mac" but I'm trying to screen share with a friends computer (iMac).

2. Jexta macrumors member

The Messages app has replaced iChat, it has the functionality for screen-sharing.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

4. meme1255 macrumors 6502

iChat uses its own protocol for A/V or ScreenSharing and not standard jingle - Best would be if it supported both :) :(

5. McDave macrumors newbie

The arse end of the arse end of the world
    Uses VNC for screen sharing though I think setup is proprietary.

Speaking of which is anyone able to use AIM screen sharing in Messages on Mavericks? Mine starts but comes up with a session timed out error. Used to work fine in ML.

6. TexasStargazer macrumors newbie

Did you ever resolve this, I'm having the same issue with Mavericks.

7. McDave macrumors newbie

The arse end of the arse end of the world
    Yep. Go to Messages menu>Preferences>Audio/Video and cap the bandwidth to 2Mbps. Apparently screen sharing initiation looks a bit like a denial of service attack to your router. The bandwidth cap is a temporary fix and you should address this properly with your router settings though I haven't got that far yet.