iChat seems bloated

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mason.kramer, May 31, 2007.

1. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I just made the switch and I've been familiarizing myself with my new mac pro for a few days now. I've discovered the equivalent of the task manager, (Activity Monitor?) and the first thing I noticed is how much memory iChat is using. Granted, I am using bonjour, jabberwocky, and aim on there, but still I think it's excessive -

[​IMG]
    (I'm also learning how to use quicksilver to bring up grab :))
    Not only 100mbs of ram, but 5-6% cpu utilization on a 3ghz xeon 5000 seems pretty excessive for a program meant to run in the background! And I haven't even installed an add-on package which I just downloaded (chax). Is this normal for iChat? Is Adium or some other chat program any better?

Also, I was just checking the console to familiarize myself with it...and there is something up. Behold!:
    [​IMG]
    Every second, iChat spams my console with about 20 of the same message, as you can see. I am thinking that this error is related to the performance problem which I seem to be experiencing. I quickly stuck that string into google and nothing popped up immediately to answer this question ... so I'd thought I'd post here for (nice) suggestions. Thank you

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Try restarting your Mac? :eek: Repair permissions, the usual.

But just for reference, I have iChat open (just AIM), and its using about 25 MB of RAM, and 0-2 % processor usage.

Also, all of your apps seem to have really high RAM usages. Safari is only taking up 82MB of RAM, and 3% processor usage, and I have 6 windows open. Also, my threads range from 11 for iChat to 2 for Safari.

Hope this helps. :)

3. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I just counted, and I have 26 firefox tabs open right now ;). Actually I am surprised at how well ff runs on the mac - it's much less of a memory bleeder than in XP

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

He just made the switch, so don't recommend "the usual" :)

Ditto, roughly.

Spamming your console log isn't right, like you probably guessed. That's a lot of information being written every second, filling your hard drive, using your CPU, etc.

Most "advanced" users (other than me) seem to like AdiumX as a chat client. You might try it, at least until this iChat problem is cleared up. Or it might be something that goes away after a restart.

5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I prefer Safari, but they're both (in my experience) bad leakers. Safari can cripple my Macbook in a matter of a couple days. It's one of the things that I constantly scream at Apple.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Code:
    May 31 16:26:55 /universal/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type
    May 31 16:26:56 /universal/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type
    May 31 16:29:51 /universal/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type
    May 31 16:29:56 /universal/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type
    May 31 16:47:10 /universal/Adium.app/Contents/MacOS/Adium: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type
    Just saying...

7. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

out of curiosity, why is your program in the /universal directory but mine is in the /applications directory?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hes using Adium, and probably has a separate folder for the universal apps?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's via a NFS mount.

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

:p Hard drive space a little tight?

11. evands macrumors member

The CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo Console warnings began being produced after an OS X update (I want to say it was 10.4.8, but I can't recall exactly), are spewed by many different programs, and appear totally harmless.

Also, for iChat, you're missing part of the fun -- there's the iChat program *and* an iChat Background Agent. Be sure to add them both up to get the true RAM footprint! ;)

I recommend Adium, but I am, of course, significantly biased.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Biased as you may be, at least you're not a total dick like Iser was. <3

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mac@Work

It lets us keep everyones' applications up to date from one repository.

14. peterrosen macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with Spamming iChat: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid

Well, I am having the same problem on a MacBook Pro running Tiger. Don't know how it started and would like SOMEONE to at least suggest some solution if you know about such internal Mac workings? You'd be helping more than a few folks I dare say! How do we (have you) stop this? THis is what my Console output looks like (with only the line in question):
    May 15 01:00:11 HDname /Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type