iChat Sound quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chocolate632, Aug 2, 2008.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Every time my buddy drags a video into the chat, my audio quality worsens and he can't hear me well and vice-versa. It not only worsens, but gets lower.
    Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

When you say 'drags a video into the chat' - are you talking about showing videos to one another using iChat Theater? If so then your (or your acquaintances') connection sucks and can't handle so much upload (99% of all ISPs are greedy as hell w/ their upload speeds) -- try limiting the bandwidth iChat uses in iChat Prefs > video, that should solve your problem

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes that is what I mean, sorry if it wasn't clear. The thing is, this problem doesn't happen all the time. I think it was because I was downloading large files and his brother was playing xbox live and this was sucking the bandwidth out of both our connections. Sorry I never thought of this before, but I was reading your post and saw bandwidth and thought "Oh bandwidth!!" and tried to remember what we were downloading that could suck up our bandwidth. If this doesn't solve it, i'll try following your advice.

Thanks.