ichat, the one problem

feif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Long Island, NY
so i switched over to using a mac back in april, and one (though it seems pointless) thing has been bothering me. i use ichat as my chat program, since AIM for mac is quite outdated, and i love it, but away messages are never up to date. someone can change their message and be doing something completly different, ending up makingi a situation a bit confusing. is there some type of fix or anything for this, or any suggestions besides to stop caring what people are doing?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
You could try Fire, a freeware IM app that works with AIM, Yahoo, Jabber, and almost everything else you can think of. It has tabbed IM windows too (I can't figure out why iChat hasn't added that feature yet).

I use iChat most of the time but I don't think I have the same problem you describe. I'm not sure how to check either though. Maybe I have the same problem and don't know it.

feif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Long Island, NY
its weird, someone would come over, and theyd be like, no that was my away message this morning, not now, or other times i could say something to their away, but it'd autoreply with something else. i usually feel dumb then. i guess ill give fire a try though.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
there is only ONE thing wrong with iChat? hah
the only reason i use iChat is for the video chatting. you should try adium. it works very well, and is pretty similar to iChat. though i have had some problems with adium trying file transfers. i have the same problem as you and only get the proper away message when i say something to the person. i also dont like the fact that you cant have a profile similar to that of aim. but really the away message thing isnt the biggest problem, or at least not for me.

feif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Long Island, NY
well, i downloaded Adium, and i must say, i'm impressed. i like it better than ichat, which i loved, thanks guys.