iChat Tips for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jusacruiser, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I have a couple of questions regarding the iChat.

When signing up for the first time, do I just go directly into iChat? Should I have either a Googletalk or Yahoo Instant Messenger set up ahead of time and then sign into Apple iChat?

Also, somebody recommended that I use "Adium" instant messaging because it is compatible with all the different Instant Messaging Services.

I guess what I am asking for is a few get started pointers. :confused:

Thank you!

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Any instant messenger will require an already-created account.

I personally would recommend Adium for its wide feature set. Although, if you need voice and video, you may want to either stick with iChat or use iChat just for that purpose.

3. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Follow-up Questions

I am not sure I know what you mean. I thought with Adium, you can do everything.....iChat, text, video, etc. Are you able to elaborate a little? Sorry for all the silly questions.

How do you have your iChat set up?

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

No, because Adium is all I need. The one thing Adium doesn't do is audio and video chats, whereas iChat does. So the deciding factor is whether or not you stick with Adium or iChat (although keep in mind you can use iChat just for audio and video chats, and Adium for everything else).

If I were you, I'd pick Adium.

5. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

You can just make an account directly in iChat. No need to make another outside one. Unless you want of course.

No comment on the Adium.

6. jusacruiser, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010

jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I thought that iChat IS video chat. I do want to be able to do video chat, so i am thinking that i won't be able to do adium.

Ok, I may try it. I think that if I do it that way, I get a "Mac.com" address. Not sure how it works. I will just have to start experimenting.

7. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Instant Messaging Services

I read the instructions for iChat on the Apple Website.

They said that only certain IM services may be used with iChat. These IM services were Google Talk, Mobile Me and AIM. Most notably absent from the services that could be used was Yahoo. Yahoo was not on the list for Video Chat.

What are you thoughts? What Instant Messaging Services are best?
    :confused:

8. TheZA macrumors regular

I'm relatively new to iChat. I started using it about a year ago when I got a Macbook, and now use iChat to video with my family on the iMac when I'm on the road. I signed up for two free AIM accounts (one the generic family account, and one for me) and use those. I can't speak for other options, but the AIM accounts work well. I forget the particulars, but it was easy to set up - I'm at work right now on a Windoze machine or I might be able to describe in more detail. When I originally set it up I followed directions from Pogue's book, The Missing Manual. I find that a good reference for figuring out how to do things on OSX (even though the version of the book I have is for Tiger and I'm now on Snow Leopard).

The one problem I had when originally setting it up was that I was then using my iMac for internet access for the Macbook via sharing the internet connection on airport. You have to internet sharing turned off. That isn't an issue as now I use an Airport Express.

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I tried video chatting with my friend through ichat but he couldnt see me for some reason. I was on my gmail account with ichat open and he was on his gmail account but was using the gmail website to chat instead of ichat, is that the reason we couldnt view eachother?

10. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Need help to answer ichat question....

I don't know why you could not see each other. Maybe someone else can jump in here and explain.....

:confused: