iChat: Too Many Login Attempts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robuccallero, Mar 1, 2008.

1. robuccallero macrumors newbie

I've been having trouble logging into iChat. When I click the icon it makes the log in sound like 10 times and then an error pops up saying "Could not log in. You have attempted to log in too often in a short period of time. Wait a few minutes before trying to log in again." I haven't tried logging in like crazy and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help!

Please forgive me if this is a easily fixed problem. I just got my [first] macbook this week and I'm still learning.

Thanks!

--RoBuccaLlero:confused:

2. DaMacRaptor macrumors newbie

I am having that same problem, but am having no luck can anyone help

3. TerryCPiano macrumors newbie

What u want to try is restart ur mac.For jabber, how to create a account? like what to type after ur name?:confused:

4. Hitnrun3488 macrumors newbie

The fix for the Too Many Log in Attempts Error

ichat - pref - server settings - change the port to 5297 or 5298 or 5220 or 5222 for some reason this works, do not ask me how, but thats the fix

5. jle macrumors newbie

Possible Reason for Error

From my experience, if I have left my iChat on at home and then sign-on from work, per usual it tells me how many locations from which I have signed on. Throughout the day, if I loose my connection at home and iChat automatically signs on again, the number of locations that the iChat server "thinks" I have signed on from increases. I would imagine that each user has a limited number of locations that they can be signed on from since I would notice that after a while, I could no longer sign-on from home after many of these instances of loosing my connection and iChat reconnecting automatically. After a period of time, those other connections, even though they aren't really connected, are dispelled by the iChat server freeing up your connection capacity. So, what I'm guessing is happening to you is that while you aren't connected to the server, each of these 10 login attempts has filled a space in your login-location capacity.

6. hhojman macrumors newbie

Enable SSL

I was having the same problem. I couldn't find a solution online. Or better said: I found many suggested solutions but none of them worked. The Apple support forums have a thread but it is closed now. Nobody can add responses to it, despite the fact that there is no solution.
    Go figure. >:-(

This is what just worked for me:
    Go to iChat preferences, choose "Accounts". On Accounts, choose "Server settings" and there select SSL.
    I can connect now.

I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone. There are many proposed solutions out there but none of them worked for me. This suggests that there are more than one cause for this problem. My solution might work for someone else.
    Good luck.

7. Mak-man macrumors newbie

Has nothing to do with your computer

It's an AIM server issue. I had the same problem on my 10.5.8 macbook. Also had the problem pop up on my iphone, tying the problem back to AIM. Simply create a new account