iChat Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by legaleye3000, Jul 13, 2008.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Hi- I just convinced my mom to get a Macbook. I'm trying to do video with her and its not working.

1. She updated to 10.5.4
    2. Not running software firewall, but is behind a wireless Netgear router.
    3. I'm only behind a linksys router and added some ports anyway that I found on Google.

What happens is that when I invite her to video chat, it immediately says on her screen that I cancelled the invitation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Sondergaard macrumors newbie

There are an insane number of variables. In a little time searching you will turn up lots of suggestions all over the Internet so I won't do the search for you, but I will add my own experience.

By far the most common cause of this kind of problem for me has been incompatible router firmware. I have seen this on both some (not all) Netgear routers and some (not all) Linksys routers -- I see both manufacturers are involved here. I recommend at the very least ensuring that the firmware in each router is up to date. If no joy, then if it is possible to test with other routers, e.g. Buffalo, Apple -- try that. You may not need to fuss with both routers at the same time; fixing just one may be enough to get the link working, even if both do have issues.

My brother must periodically power-cycle his Buffalo router hardware, every few months, for iChat to continue working.

Another thing that sometimes helps is simply to quit and restart the iChat application.

Sorry I can't follow through with you on this to the end. I have used up all the stomach lining I can spare on my own iChat indigestion over the last few years. Good luck!

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Like Sondergaard said, there are a NUMBER of variables here.

Video chats depend on a feature called uPnP (Universal Plug-and-play) to open the necessary ports on the fly for the chat. If the router won't allow that, you will get the symptoms you are experiencing.

Another common issue is that the chat doesn't start because the person on the other end never accepted. it's all the same thing - the two way communication is getting blocked.

I have had good luck with a number of routers, but I know some people have issues. I would look for uPnP settings on BOTH routers, and make sure they are turned on.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have the exact same problem and could not get it resolved. I downloaded and use TeamViewer which is free and does the job.