iChat - Unable to see gmail people online

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moveright, May 20, 2012.

1. moveright macrumors member

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm unable to see people who have gmail accounts online for chatting when I am using iChat. For my iChat accounts, I have my me.com account and also my bonjour account. I don't need to have a gmail account in order to chat with people who are using gmail right? That just wouldn't make sense.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If they're using a Gmail address to chat, they're using Google Chat, not AOL Instant Messenger. You'll have to log in with your Google Chat ID (which is typically also your Gmail address) to the Google Chat service through iChat in order to chat with them.

jW

3. moveright thread starter macrumors member

Ok, that makes sense. I thought if I had a Jabber account, I didn't need to have a Google Talk account too.

So then, what's the point of the Jabber and Bonjour accounts?

Thanks.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For communicating with other people on those services. Not that many people use Jabber anymore, I don't think, but Google Chat uses that protocol so it doesn't make sense for Apple to remove it anyways. Bonjour is for autodiscovery on a local network, so a room full of people who've never met and haven't shared screen names can still use iChat for communication immediately.

jW

5. moveright thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I completely understand the Bonjour as you've explained it. However, for the rest of iChat, I'm lost. Either this is one of Apple's most non-intuitive applications or I'm just plain stupid(gosh I hope it's not the latter).

Alright, here's the specific issue. My mother uses gmail which of of course has chat enabled. I do not wish to use gmail or have any google account period for that matter.

That having been said, when I added her as a buddy in iChat, I tried to text chat with her and although she wasn't online, the chat window reported that it was a "jabber" connection of sorts. I was lost at that point. Wouldn't it be google talk?

So, now that I have almost certainly confused and, likely frustrated you(thank you for your patience), can I get a step by step walk through of adding her as a buddy? Do I HAVE to add my google account in iChat? If so, when I add her as a buddy, do I add her account as a me.com account or a google account?

Quite honestly, I'm baffled as to why I seem to be having such great difficulty grasping this concept. I'm actually extremely tech literate!:eek:

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

So far as I know, Google Chat is a closed system. You can only talk to someone who is using Google Chat via that system, which requires that you sign in with a Google account. You either need to just suck it up and do that or find a way to get your mother to use another service (Skype, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Facebook, etc). I know of no way around that.

jW