iChat video chat issues with Vista?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Galaxius, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Galaxius macrumors newbie

Hi. Currently I'm trying to video chat through AIM on iChat with a friend who is using Vista. Is there any known issues?

Anyways the main problem is we both try connecting and we both get audio where we can talk to each other, but we cannot see each other. Is there any way to fix this? All help is appreciated.

2. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Ever since the latest Mac update I've had trouble with video ichat and AIM. Sometimes it works fine and other times AIM just says "an unexpected error occurred". Its really weird because I've tried Skype and it works fine, however its too hard for the other person to figure out. Hopefully the upcoming update fixes it.

3. eherbold macrumors newbie

Video Chat with Vista Problems

I am experiencing similar problems in trying to set up a video chat (thru AIM) with my iMac and a PC running Vista. Both sides get a request to chat and when the video chat request is accepted it comes back as acceptance is denined??? Both sides are using high speed cable connections. Vista side has firewall turned off. Any help is appreciated

4. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I am getting this same error when I try to video chat with a friend running AIM on XP... he accepts, but he gets a "Connection Error" message and iChat tells me he declined.

5. kslee macrumors newbie

Same thing here, my friend got a HP laptop for christmas with a webcam and mic built in and we can accept video chat invites, but we only see ourselves and were able to speak, but that's it. And I kept echoing.

6. patri macrumors newbie

help

I've tried to connect my macbook video ichat w/ my pc using vista it comes up with the same error it will not let either of us accept . this worked a while but now all we get is the same error everyone else is describing can anyone give me the magic secret to correct this

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

Are they using Fios? My router will not open the ports currently needed for ichat video.

8. patri macrumors newbie

I have no idea but will ask her,

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It has been quite a while since I tried an iChat to AIM video chat, but all of the issues I had in the past, were router and port related. I had to forward a bunch of specific ports through the firewall to my Mac.

iChat to iChat video chats use uPnP which automatically opens the ports you need.

You might try Skype - I have had much better luck with that when doing cross platform chats...

10. rs7 macrumors regular

Same thing! It's terrible. I can use any other program to video chat with people, but not iChat. But I think if the other person has iChat too (hence running OSX not Windows) it works fine. Tech support had no clue.

11. patri macrumors newbie

thanks i think i'll try skype