iChat Video Chat problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chocolate632, Nov 4, 2007.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hi I just got leopard with my friend and for some reason, iChat wont let us do video chat or screen sharing. I keep getting the message that i didn't respond or that he didn't respond. He was at my house a few days ago and iChat worked perfectly. Is this a bug or is something wrong with my router?. Will it be fixed in a future update? (Also this is my first tread)

2. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same issues too. Not sure what the problem is. I can video chat with Apple's test SN but no one else.

3. joshquick macrumors newbie

Internet Sharing

I was having the same problem. I resolved the issue by turning off internet sharing.

Hope this helps

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

5. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, you are not the only one. My MBP has been giving me problems with iChat video since upgrading to Leopard... as well as my mom's upgraded MB. It keeps saying that there are "connection problems"; thus we have been unable to video chat since installation. These "problems" weren't there during Tiger.

I was really hoping Apple would provide a solution during 10.5.1 update, but that didn't happen... and I convinced my mom to get the MB because of iChat too :mad:

6. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

My friend fixed it for me, I think he turned internet sharing and it work perfectly - Hopes that helps:)

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    ichat connection errors are almost always caused by network issues, either on your end or your friends end.

do you get error -8?

does iChat work when you're both behind the same router?

there should be only one device acting as a dhcp server on both of your networks.

do you have sufficient bandwidth?

try the apple discussions... Ralph Johns (UK) is really good with troubleshooting ichat.

8. C3POh macrumors member

iChat on Powerbook G4

Mac OS X 10.5, iChat: Unable to participate in some chats on a PowerPC G4 867Mhz Mac

Issue or symptom

You may be unable to participate in a video or audio chat in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on PowerPC-based Macs that have an 867Mhz G4 processor. The iChat Video menu may not appear, and under the Connection Doctor's Capabilities tab your computer may be listed as "unable to participate in a video conference" due to bandwidth/network issues.
    You may also receive an alert when you attempt to respond to a video conference such as:

"NAME has invited you to participate in a Video Chat, but your computer does not support video conferencing."

(Where NAME is the name of the buddy that invited you to the video chat.)
    Products affected
    ▪ Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    ▪ iChat
    ▪ PowerPC-based Mac with a 867MHz processor

Solution

1. Quit iChat.
    2. Open Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder).
    3. In Terminal type or paste this command on a single line:
    defaults write com.apple.iChat newbwdup 300000
    1. Press Return.
    2. Quit Terminal.
    3. Open iChat.

You should now be able to participate in video and audio chats that your Mac meets the requirements for.

9. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I just got my iMac 2.8ghz with 4gb ram and I had to plug in the ethernet cable directly for it to work.

Does turning off internet sharing really work while on wifi? I'll have to try it at home tonight.

10. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

My friend told me to do something with internet sharing and now it works. I think he told me to turn it off.

11. maxjg macrumors member

Yeah, just make sure that you have internet sharing off. That did it for me when I first got leopard.

12. dbernie41 macrumors regular

My internet sharing is off and I still can't get it to work. Boooo.

13. dbernie41 macrumors regular

14. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    you'll need to check over at the Apple Discussion forums, I would think.

Ralph Johns is really good with sorting out router/network issues (it sounds like those are the types of problems you are having.)

15. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I am having the same issue, using two MacBooks on the same network using wifi. One is running Tiger, the other Leopard. Internet sharing is turned off on both.

Now the strange thing is it works fine when Leopard calls Tiger, but not the other way around (invitation declined even when you select 'accept'). :confused:

16. billmister macrumors 6502

i have similar problems.
    When my fiance is at home user her wirless connections i CAN'T connect video. I could text though. When she comes over and connected to my LAN via wi-fi, i'm able to see her. When she's home and connected directly to her dsl modem by ethernet cable, i'm able to see her. But not wirless.

My brothers imac. When he's home and connected by ethernet, i'm able to video chat. but when he connects wireless i can't.

when i connect my imac DIRECTLY to my DSL MODEM, no router in between, i'm able to see them in video ichat regardless of them using ethernet or wirless. It's weird. I'm still trying different setting to see what it could be. BTW i have 802.11g and 802.11b

17. rvdesign macrumors newbie

This Computer does not support video chats

I've been having this issue since Apple upgraded me to 10.6!!!!
    (Apple upgraded me, without my knowledge and/or permission, but that's a long story...)
    I can not longer do video iChat since then (amongst many other problems since Snow Leopard upgrade, which I shouldn't go on about here)

Anyway, I do not have "Internet Sharing" turned on and I cannot change the "Bandwidth Limit" on iChat as it's greyed out.

I have no idea what changed since then, but Snow Leopard has only brought me huge headaches!!

Any help, it would be really appreciated as Apple's forum I found was archived and no longer takes replies.