ichat video chat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rweakins, May 22, 2007.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

evrytime i try to connect i get a communication error...any tips?

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Are you attempting to connect to Windows or Mac users? I used to have problems (read: would never work) connecting talk/video to Windows AIM users, and hadn't had the opportunity to try with other Mac users. However, about 2 weeks ago (it may be more because I had given up trying to make it work about a month ago) I accidently clicked the video button and it did work. Now it works regularly with the Windows AIM users.

3. BoughtAAPL@4.00 macrumors member

Could be a firewall issue, both on your Mac and/or router. See these Apple tech articles for more info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

You didn't mention if you are trying to chat with Windows or Mac users. Sometimes communications issues arise on the other end.

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I find that router firewall issues are generally to blame for connection issues. A slow connection speed can also cause major headaches...I think an iChat video chat requires at least 100KBps to work properly.

To fix firewall issues, try putting your computer in the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) for your router, assuming your router has that feature.