Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanakidd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Okay, first off:

I'm running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 on a Macbook Pro (2GB Proc; 2GB RAM). No viruses or ill OS elements to speak off.

Now, I've been trying to run videochatting in iChat and have been simply unable to connect to anyone. When I double-click to open the program in Applications, this is what I get:

Picture1-1.jpg

The program just hangs at this screen where it tells me "connecting" until either a message opens stating "Connection has been lost", or I manually switch my status to "available" using the little dropdown menu under my screen name:
Picture2.jpg

I assumes the words "connecting" are eventually supposed to automatically switch to say something like "connected" or "available", but it never does that. Plus, no one I know with iChat can detect my availability for video chatting -- only that I'm online in iChat. And of course, my end is even worse because I'm not able to detect that I'm either online or that other people can see me online -- I just continue to see the blank spaces in the Buddy List no matter how many times I try to add people, along with the words "connecting" (or "Available" if I did the manual switch thing). So, what the deal? Anyone?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Repair Permissions

Try repairing your permissions.

1. Go into Applications -> Utilities.

47xi4ps.png

2. Click on your MacBook's HD in the sidebar, and hit repair permissions.

3ynq9hl.png

3. When it's done, restart and reopen iChat, this should hopefully fix the problem.

2ceitsy.png

If it doesn't then I have another idea you could try.

ghanakidd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Try repairing your permissions.

1. Go into Applications -> Utilities.

47xi4ps.png

2. Click on your MacBook's HD in the sidebar, and hit repair permissions.

3ynq9hl.png

3. When it's done, restart and reopen iChat, this should hopefully fix the problem.

2ceitsy.png

If it doesn't then I have another idea you could try.

Yeah, that didn't work. What's the other suggestion?

ghanakidd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Do a spotlight search for "iChat" and get rid of all related files, then get your DVD's that came with your MacBook and just reinstall iChat.

Well, I've removed the iChat files, but there doesn't seem to be a direct way to reinstall iChat without reinstalling the whole OS (a whole new problem). I just want to sent up video-enabled chatting. Is there anything other that iChat for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.