iChat Video-Compatible Jabber Client for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ingenious, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Does anyone know of a Jabber client for Windows XP that allows users to video chat with iChat 4 on Leopard? Trillian Pro does iChat compatible audio/video, but only over AIM, unless someone knows a hack.

I know about Meebo, but I'm really looking for something that can be left open all of the time and start when the computer does (i.e. an application...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

perhaps there's a way to force Trillian to use the AIM plugin's video stuff over Jabber?

I'm shooting in the dark here, really looking for some kind of response... :)

3. jrprehn macrumors newbie

Audio/Video Jabber Client for Windows comatible with iChat on mac

I'm in the same boat... We've tried a few clients like neos and pidgin and they don't do what we need.

Any other ideas?

Jimmy

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

I've found absolutely nothing that works so far, but I'm still working on it.

Right now, in order to preserve the "user experience" for my father, I set him up with Chax to combine buddy lists for him so it still appears like he's only using Google Talk, even though "that one contact" is on AIM.

I'm also working with Ralph Johns on the Apple Discussions forums to see if using a Jabber transport to handle the handshake (iChat itself, theoretically, should handle the AV part). We'll see. I'm really hoping, because this is ridiculous...

5. jrprehn macrumors newbie

After posting we played more with trillian pro trial software...

We got trillian pro to work with Jabber (via plugin) but our web cam wasn't in yet so we couldn't test the A/V part of the chat.

It is supposed to come in tomorrow.

Everything on the website points to it working with the Pro version, costs $25 more than the free Basic version but it sounds like it will work.

If we can get it working, I'll post.

Jimmy

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Good luck. I couldn't get it to work that way, but let me know if you do!

7. jrprehn macrumors newbie

No Dice...

I even paid the $25 for a full license hoping that it would unlock something to do with the a/v chat. Didn't work. So I opened a ticket asking them to solve the problem or give me my money back.

Do you have any other ideas?

Jimmy