Ichat Video Conferencing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ktbubster, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I am running all the updated versions of everything. I have a macbook pro cd as does the person I am trying to video chat with via ichatAV.

Here is the problem. I CAN'T get it to work when we are on a different network. We set up a chat easily when we were on the same network in a house (he just got his new computer so we were playing around with the new stuff with mine) It worked fine.

I have successfully had video chats with other people before, but for some reason we keep getting error messages when we try to connect when we are on different networks (I at him and he at school) it keeps failing on one end or another.

I read some stuff about networks both using a special sort of network connection or something having conflicts with the protocal for ichat or something.

Anyone know what I am talking about or knows how to solve this problem? Apparently a few people have had it, but I am not sure how to fix it!

Help :)

2. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

3. mpw Guest

It can seem like trial and error getting iChat to work sometimes, I've no idea why, but there's been talk of ports and trigger ports that has all gone over my head at times. Try searching, specifically look for posts about iChat from MR user Applespider who's been helpful in the past for others.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

This site goes through a lot of the problems people encounter with iChat. It's probably got something to do with firewalls/routers that one or both of you have set up.