iChat Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notatrumpetpro, Jun 27, 2008.

1. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

I've searched the boards and have found nothing useful SO...

iChat video seems to NEVER work. I have been successful when both users were on the same network. Both users have apple computers, macbook and macbook pro, that were bought within the last 3 months. We both have the same Linksys WRT54G router at our homes and have both forwarded ports apple recommends, all 20 or something stupid, and have disabled the firewalls on the routers AND in leopard, still with no luck.

Sites used: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629?viewlocale=en_US
    and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1507

We have downloaded skype and forwarded the one port it uses and the video chat works great.

The simple solution would to just use skype but we would like to use iChat as we both have other contacts on our iChat accounts that do not have skype.

Is there some kind of workaround? Are we missing something?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Well ive had problems with the aim portion of video chat with only one person. It is due to a strange problem on the pc when the older version of aim doesn't get removed. But since both partys are using a mac im not sure.

3. marine610610 macrumors regular

You didn't mention what the specific error is? I currently iChat from Hawaii to my parents in California, and my brother in Florida. I use an Airport Extreme router and have not forwarded anything, or made any other changes. If you have access to another router i would try that. Better yet, you can both plug the cable directly into your macbooks vice the routers and try it, cut out the routers all together. Then you will know for sure where to start troubleshooting.

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

What account are you using Aim - Jabber or .mac account.

iChat Error Messages

http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page13.html

Error Messages in iChat
    And To do About Them.
    What can I do About Error Messages...?

Yes there is a page 13. It's this one with the error messages on it.

Various Error Messages
    There are several Error Messages that start with the content of the Blue box. They continue with the indvidual contents of the yellow boxes. The solutions found so far are posted in between. It is worth while noting that these are a lot more common in iChat 2.

For iChat 3/10.4.7 error logs go here.

"iChat Internal Error!
    NSInternalInconsistencyException...."

The one that continues:

"...Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString ! = nil"

Is about a Address Book error. It can sometimes appear if your Address Book, Me Card is not pointing to your details. Another solution can be found Address Book Fix .

The one that continues:
    "...Unknown property 'Richard' type '-1549840836' "

Where 'Richard', is any typing that you do and can sometimes appear if your Address Book, Me Card is not pointing to your details. Is also solved by the Address Book Fix link above.

This one:
    "...Invalid Parameter not Satisfying: aString! = nil"

It can also be solved by doing the following:

Disconnect from your network connection.
    If you are using Ethernet, physically disconnect the cable from your computer.
    If you are using AirPort to connect, turn AirPort off.

Open iChat
    If iChat opens for you, leave it open and reconnect to your network.
    It may take a minute or so, but iChat may automatically connect you after your computer recognizes that your network is available again.
    (originally posted by Quesito who thanks Galye the Moderator of the Apple iChat Discussion area.
    NOTE: Gayle and several other of the Moderators or Hosts as they became when the Discussion Board software changed, no longer work at for Apple on the Discussion Boards.)
    This one:
    "...Chat is not in compose mode anymore in iChat AV"

Has not been solved yet. But try restarting iChat. It seems to pop up if you add a Buddy to the Buddy List during a chat by using the item "Add Buddy" in the Buddies Menu. It also has been seen when sending files.

Adding buddies and File Sending require that port 5190 is open the UDP internet protocol so it woul be wise to check this as well.

The suggested restart is to ensure you are logged in to that particular AIM server that deals with creating and storing Buddy List information.

There is this new one.
    "NSInternalInconsistencyException: Missing data for smallIcon"

It appeared on the Apple Discussion pages but I did not get a reponse to deleting com.apple.ichatAgent.plist as a cure.

Then there is this one:
    "...NSInvalidArgumentException:
    NSConcreteMutableAttributedString
    addAttribute:value:range:: nil value"

This is solved by checking on Fonts Lucida Grande and Helvetica in Font Book.
    The Fonts Lucida Grande or Helvetica are missing or disabled in Font Book.

Open Font Book

Click on the reveal triangle next to the All Fonts item in the Left hand column.

Now select the Computer collection.

Check the second column for those two fonts.

Enable with button at the bottom of coloumn if showing grey.

Check User and/or Classic collections if not showing.
    Holding the cursor over the font in the second column will reveal it's type and location ( as will using the Sample item from the Preview menu). You want a dfont (or Datafork true font ) type.
    If they appear in the other collections, drag them to the Computer collection.

Apple have now published their own Doc 300501 on this.
    Also read this FAQ by Kurt Lang on Fonts

Then there is this one:
    "# NSInvalidArgumentException:
    ** -[NSTextField setRomanOnly:]: selector not recognized"

This is caused by some Smiley packs. The best cure is to reinstall the InstantMessage.framework folder in OS X/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with these instructions You will need the instructions near the bottom of the page. See also Ryan's FAQ at Apple
    In iChat 3 The InstantMessage folder is in the Frameworks folder (System/Library)

This one came to me by email 28/09/2005** -Invalid parameter not satisfying: (index >= 0) && (index < (_itemArray ? CFArrayGetCount((CFArrayRef)_itemArray) : 0))

This one appears to be associated with cocoaAspell, See this link at MacOSXHints. Searching for any bits that might be active with Spotlight is useful. It appears the SpellCatcher was the original Utility that was deactivated in this case. Thanks to Susan F. Epstein who alerted me to this problem and Ryan M. for the link to MacOSXHints. Susan worked through looking for active files and deleted them from the Home/Library/Services folder.

Another one added originally to my Blog for safe keeping was this-:

Cooky94 on the Apple iChat Discussions had this error message:-
    "NSImageCasheExcetion Cannot Cashe Image"

It is solved by checking for corrupted Buddy icons in com.apple.ichat.pictures which is in Users/(your Account/Library/Caches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedbag Errors
    "Could not add 'screenname' to your buddy list. (Feedbag error 10) or (... 17)"

Feedbag Error 17 is a message from AIM that your Buddy List is full.
    Make sure that your Buddies do not appear in more than one group as they get counted twice (or more) this way. The limit is 200

Feedbag Error 10 is connected to your Buddies details already being in the Buddy list or the Address Book and you trying to add the same person under a different screen name.
    Either delete the previous entry or....
    add the second screen name after the first one with a comma in between in the Address Book (ralphjohnr,rlph820) in either the AIM or @Mac entry points or add a axtra AIM field to the Address Book card to hold the second name.
    Alternatively the names can be added in this way to the Buddy Info Accounts name when you use the Apple Key (Command ⌘) and "i" together when a Buddy is highlighted in the Buddy list.

In iChat 3 there is some evidence that this is related to how your Groups are set up. I had this from another Level 4 at Apple Discussions:

Make sure you have a single group set in iChat (View - Use Groups). Add a group using the + on the bottom of the buddy list. Give it the name "Buddies", a default group that AIM uses. Once you add this group, then iChat should let you add people to the Buddy List

Feedbag Error 14 is to do with adding ICQ account names. Use the same approach as Feedbag Error 10.
    For clarity there is this from Sabrina Leistner from Germany.

The person who is supposed to be added to a buddy list has to check whether he/she has allowed "all users my add me to their Contact List and see my Online / Offline status"
    This can be found under "My preferences" -> Security -> General -> Contact List Authorization (ICQ client on a Windows PC)
    This has to be done before the iChat person can add the Buddy

5. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

I'm almost certain it's the router and or iChat being weird. When we both are using the same network iChat video works fine. When we are not on the same network, in the same house, is when he was issues.

We are both using Gmail accounts in iChat.

Like I said, we both turned off the routers firewall and leopards firewall and had no luck in iChat. We've also tried when the firewalls were on and forwarded the suggested ports from Apple and have had no luck.

We both dlled Skype in the meantime and it works flawlessly.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Use .mac or aim accounts.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe you need better Internets?

What's your download and upload speeds?

8. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

Well currently I'm in Nevada using Cox 10MBps and the other person is using Charter 10MBps.

We have tried using our AIM accounts, still with no luck.

9. ricpac macrumors member

If you are using a Linksys router, no need to forward the ports as I'm sure you have. Disable those, and set your Mac to obtain IP via DHCP--forwarding requires that you use a static IP. What you need to do instead is just set up port triggering from 1024 to 65535 (I think) and that should work. Let me know.

10. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

But the way the router works is it gives each machine a unique IP. So by forwarding ports to the given IP (or given machine in this case) it would be the same thing as triggering. The only difference I see would be by triggering every machine on the LAN would be effected as opposed to forwarding where only the machine I tell it to forward would be effected...right?

Regardless, I will give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks.