iChat video error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by touchher, Feb 24, 2008.

1. touchher macrumors regular

this extremely frustrating because I'm already on my second iMac and its only been 1 month. Everytime I go to video chat someone using iChat it will start up and not work after 2 seconds and give the error message below. iChat works with text and audio chat. I have a wireless connection and have a comcast router. Anyone know how to fix this?!!

Attached Files:

2. icoffee macrumors regular

Make sure you have the correct ports open for video on your router. If you are using the Leopard firewall (System Preferences->Security->Firewall) make sure it allows all incoming connections. For the ports, check this out http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

3. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

My friend was having a similar problem, and we found one solution. He went to system preferences, network, assist me. Once OS X configured his network settings everything worked perfectly and still does. Try it.

4. touchher thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to follow the instructions from your link, but there doesn't seem to be a Firewall tab in the Sharing section or a "New" button in the Security>Firewall area... I am running Leopard.

5. icoffee macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant to use the Apple link to check to make sure those ports are open on your internet router, not Mac OS.

6. wHo_tHe macrumors regular

Make sure 'Internet Sharing' is OFF

My iChat video and audio connections would sometimes work and sometimes fail, even with the same people on the other end using the same equipment on the same networks.

I was at my wits end, before I tried turning off 'Internet Sharing', which I had used to share at Ethernet connection to other devices over AirPort while I was traveling.

Voila! With Internet Sharing off, my video chats connected every time. With Internet Sharing on, they always failed with error 8 or error 4.

So... if you have having trouble connecting to iChat video or audio chats, make sure Internet Sharing is off (System Preferences/Sharing).

This is all under OS X 10.5.7.

7. xaviemirmon macrumors newbie

This did it

I had internet sharing enabled and didn't realize it now my video works perfect...apple really needs to fix this