iChat Video in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MaskingTape, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MaskingTape macrumors regular

So my brother and I just upgraded to SL and we decided to do a video chat to check out the new quality. The quality is nice the only problem is... there is no sound! If I initiate the video chat, he can hear me, but I can't hear him. If he initiates it, the opposite happens. Anyone else try iChat yet between 2 SL computers and have the same problem?

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Yes...if you look around I posted about this earlier today asking if anyone else has seen this but the forums are hopping today.

I have snow leopard on the following

My Macbook Pro Unibody (Late 2008)
    My Mac Pro 2.66 Quad

My brother's 13" Macbook Pro

My Fathers 1st Gen Macbook Air.

I've experienced it trying to talk to my dad, my brother in Texas, and my dad has had it happen with my brother as well.

You have to disconnect and reconnect a few times for it to work (I also tend to quit iChat and sign back in as well.)....bummer.

3. AceMason macrumors regular

Hmm...this was happening with my friend and I. He installed Snow Leopard, but I still haven't gotten my UTD copy yet so we decided to try it anyways. I could hear him but he couldn't hear me. I had to go to system preferences/audio and I saw that my mic volume was turned down. I dunno if this is what happened to you guys.

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

No, mic volume wasn't a problem. It worked fine when I did a conference to a leopard user...only SL to SL was dropping audio.

10.6.1 please...

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

How annoying. Did anyone call Apple and report it?

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I just did a video conference with the roommate (I installed SL on both computers yesterday) and had no problems.

24" iMac
    17" MBP

7. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I don't have any problems while in the same house, but when I left my parents and came home, now the same thing is happening.

If my dad initiates the video chat, we always have audio on both ends. If I initiate the video chat, it works the first time, but after he initiates a chat, I can no longer hear audio when I try to initiate another chat.

I deleted the .plist files and reset everything but didn't help.

Guessing it's a bug with Snow Leopard and iChat 5. Unfortunately there are no error messages to send to Apple.

Everyone having issues with this should report it at www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Out of curiosity, those that initiate video chats and can't hear the audio on the other end, are you using a Time Capsule?

My parents are using an Airport Extreme and I'm using a Time Capsule. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

9. MaskingTape thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm I'm using an Airport extreme but my brother is using a time capsule.

10. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

This definitely needs to be reported by all who experience it so Apple can look into it.

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

From what I'm gathering from various posts (here, Apple discussion forum, etc.), and with talking with friends who have Snow Leopard and are using Time Capsules, this seems to be a problem experienced by users with Time Capsules.

Now if I can only isolate what's causing the problem!

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I had this issue trying to video chat with my girlfriend today. We both upgraded to 10.6. She has an Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, and I've got a Unibody Macbook Pro. Video functioned perfectly, and she could hear me, but I could not hear her. I did a screen share and checked all her preferences and settings and everything was fine. Just no audio.

Hopefully Apple figures this out and patches it soon.

p.s. neither of us uses a Time Capsule.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The 'submit' button is broken.

14. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I turned off PNP port mapping protocol in my Time Capsule and everything worked fine. Turned it back on, and whoever initiated the video chat couldn't hear audio from the other person. Turned it back off, and it's fixed again. Turn it back on, and back with the same problem.

The interesting thing is my father's Airport Extreme has PNP-PMP enabled and it works fine. If I enable mine, then whoever starts the chat can't hear audio from the other person.

Hopefully Apple will fix the bug soon. As it is right now, I have no Back to my Mac access since PNP-PMP is required.

15. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

This is so annoying! Hope there is a fix for this soon so that I can stop using Skype for video chat.

Neither I nor my other party is running a Time Capsule either.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This same problem is happening to us. We can see each other, but no sound. We are both running SL. And neither of us have a Time Capsule. The only thing that fixes this is to quit and re-open iChat, but this is very bothersome and cannot easily be done if you are doing a 3-way chat. Feedback sent.

17. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

Me too. Using a MBP, and no sound on ichat while either initiating or receiving ichats since installing SL. Don't have a Time Capsule either - just an Airport Extreme. Works fine on my wife's new iMac on same network though. Very annoying.

18. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'm running 10.6.1 and I still have this problem. Anyone else have the issue resolved?

19. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I emailed Apple a diagnostic log (via their CaptureData program) with port mapping enabled (caused the error) and another with it disabled (no errors).

Hopefully this will be addressed in 10.6.2.

20. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I, too, am having this problem. The person that initiates a video call will not hear audio. Total bummer! Going to try disabling NAT-PMP to see if that helps...

EDIT: Disabling NAT-PMP did NOT help.
    Repeat: Did NOT help.

21. duky macrumors 6502

Same issue here. It used to work if I closed Safari before initiating video chat but now that doesn't work at all and I basically can not get it to work so I've resorted to using Skype. I don't get how an issue like this would slip through the cracks. I have a Time Capsule but I get the same issue when I try video conferencing from other locations without a Time Capsule so I don't see that as the issue at all.

22. snikx macrumors newbie

Problem solved for me with time capsule NAT rule

Have exactly the same problem since SL, between two SL mac.
    The people who send the invite had the microphone but can't hear back the other. Worked fine in audio chat or during screen sharing but not during video chat, so it's not a microphone or audio issue.

I'm using a Time Capsule on my side, the other computer does not have any Airport or TC and connects directly to internet.

According to this , i create a new NAT rule that linked recommended UDP and TCP ports and it worked !

Had no issue previously with leopard and time capsule. I'm using NAT rules to share some services to the internet, maybe this is a TC issue with NAT rules.
    I will keep this specific "iChat" NAT rule until Apple solve this issue, hope it will help some of you.

23. duky macrumors 6502

I would love to try this but the instructions on that website point to non-existent places in Snow Leopard. Namely:

"From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    From the View menu, choose Sharing.
    Click the Firewall tab."

There is no Firewall tab under Sharing in OS 10.6 and the Firewall tab under Security says I have no Firewall enabled! How did you create this NAT rule??