ichat video problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashok77, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ashok77 macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I have a little problem with ichat which i suspect is something relatively simple however i still can't get it sorted out. A friend of mine just purchased a macbook (with OS X 10.5 and I have 10.4.11) and we have been video ichatting without any problems. I picked up a macbook (10.5) for my gf and got ichat set up and running with out any problems, tested the video chat and all was good.

Now all of a sudden when i try to video chat with either of them i can only see my preview window and can't see them. They however don't have any problems and can see me and their preview window. They have video chatted with each other with no problems so it only seems to be me. Is there any weird compatibility issues with ichat 3.1.9 and ichat 4? Like I said, initially there was no problems with my friend and I but now that I picked up the macbook for the gf things are all out of sorts.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

2. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Did you do the Terminal workaround or just un-install and re-install the older version?

4. blackfx35 macrumors member

I am using iChat (logged in with my google talk account), and trying to chat with some friends who are using google talk as well (on pc's). For some reason, when I click their names the video chat gray's out. Any idea why I cant video chat with them? Do they have to have a Mac? iChat? Thanks for your help.

5. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

I just went and unistalled the new version and re-installed the older version...not a strong terminal user and i don't play to many divx, mkv etc. type files so this seemed to be the simplest solution.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perian 1.1.3 problem - iChat cannot receive video

iChat stopped being able to receive video from my main OSX user account. Other person can see me, but I can only see myself in iChat video chat.

Created new OSX account, works in that non-admin account (didn't try admin). Strange, surprised it's not system wide. Reset preferences, no result.

Quick google search found: Perian 1.1.3 is the culprit
    Uninstalled Perian and iChat can receive video again.

OS 10.4.11
    Quicktime 7.5.5
    Perian 1.1.3

http://billcammack.com/2008/12/30/perian-v-113-breaks-incoming-ichat-video/
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8737337

7. Eastny80 macrumors newbie

8. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    iChat and the Google Talk application on PCs don't communicate except through text.