ichat - video problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspud, Jan 9, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

ok so i've been trying to do some video chatting with a few of my friends, both pc and mac users...

the first time everything went great, i linked up with my buddy who has a new macbook and it was the clearest fastest video chat i've ever seen or done. however ever since, i've tried with two pc's and one mac and each time it says "starting video chat"...... ..... ..... then comes up with a message saying "communication error... blah blah blah"

whats up with that? is that my computer? their computer? what does that mean? i cant really find any video settings in ichat so i dont know how to tweak anything on my end...

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Make sure they have it enabled on AIM on the PC side.

Firewalls (or routers) - or two Apples with stealth browsing on AND software firewall can have trouble until one of them drops trow for a moment. I dont' know why, but I've had to do this a few times in the past.

Also - if you have comcast (or someone else who does this) - they seem to view the video chat connection as a Torrent - and they clamp your bandwidth after a minute or so. (starts out GREAT, then degrades until the connection drops).

I'm contemplating dumping Comcast because of this... It's.... Annoying.

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply, but im pretty new to mac/the computer stuff... I do have a netgear router that im using but i have no problem using yahoo video chat...

what is stealth browsing? software firewall?

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can't say for 100% - but I could never video-chat with my parents - no matter what I changed for settings within their router. (they had a Belkin) I got a WRT54G and it's been all good since. (except for the comcast thing)

The Apple user you succeeded in chatting with before - were they local (in your house / on your network) or elsewhere?

Was it ichat via AIM?

Can you still connect to this person?

5. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

the person i had success with was back in texas (im in vegas). he isnt online right now so i cant try again :(

any idea how to check the router settings?

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I have very little experience with Netgear routers. Honestly - try searching the forums here, and/or check the troubleshooting section on Apples website.

If that yields little, there are a couple of post-ninjas here that are pretty on the ball. (much more than I am)

Harass Eidorian - he'll just hate me all the more - but he's usually around here somewhere - and is are pretti smaht.

Godspeed to you, good sir.

7. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

alrighty then.

its not life or death, but would be nice to talk to my lady friend or anyone else i happened to want to video it up with

i;ll just hope someone chimes in

thanks again :D