iChat Virus (New to Macs, Plz Help)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by likuidm5, Feb 3, 2010.

1. likuidm5 macrumors newbie

Alright, so I've got a virus on my new iMac, running OS 10.6.2.

I use iChat daily and my friend just told me I've been sending out the following IMs involuntarily:

Hey, don't tell too many people but http://freebestbuycash.uk.mn is giving away $500 gift cards for holidays. It's REAL! I would hurry I think offer is ending soon. bbl [sent using www.radiusIM.com]

Anybody know how I can identify and nuke this "virus" ?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Do you use an AIM messenger username or an iChat username? Most likely its your AIM username thats been hijacked. I doubt very much there is anything on your computer but try http://www.clamxav.com/

3. likuidm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use an AIM username on iChat .. Will try that virus scanner, thx

4. likuidm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've changed my AIM, email and Facebook passwords just to be safe, but it looks like I do have some kind of a "virus" ... ClamXav just identified the following infection:

HTML.Phishing.Bank-1223

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

You would have had to enter your password for any virus 99 percent sure your online account was hijacked try changing your password if there was a virus it will be all over these forums

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Thats not a virus maybe trojan use torrents or P2P apps? Thats the only way to get one.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just to clarify, there are no viruses that run on current Mac OS X. That's a trojan, which is something you would have had to download and install.

Airforcekid, I like your signature! But don't you mean "whine" instead of "wine"?

8. likuidm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

After the scan completed, I loaded the file in my finder (I didn't open it) and saw it was a spam (phishing) email message .... I didn't click the link in the message, but somehow I got infected.

Suggestions?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

The IM indicates that it was sent via "www.radiusIM.com", not via iChat on your Mac.

If someone hacked your IM username/password, they could easily use a web service like radiusIM.com or meebo.com to send out IMs in your name.

I mean, it could be a red herring, but if there really was a Mac trojan out there doing this, you wouldn't be the only one in MacRumors with it.

10. frenetic macrumors regular

You have no virus, just an email pretending to be from your bank. And your IM account is hijacked.

11. 1to3ate9 macrumors newbie

I just got the same problem today... now i cant sign in on that sn... i had to get a new screen name! i've had mine since 2002... i wanted to cry :( so youre not alone! :) if there's something i can do to resolve this issue, please let me know. THANKS

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Did you try the password recovery, where they send it to your email address?

13. 1to3ate9 macrumors newbie

yea, my password isn't the problem cause I can sign in onto aim.com - i already changed my password twice, but when I try to sign on with ichat or aim, it won't let me in