iChat Weirdness

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
Ok, so I have my iChat set to show the short names of all the contacts, and on most of the people, it works, showing either their first name or their nickname that I have provided

But for some of my contacts, it just doesn't work, it displays their firs and last name...

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

jtibbetts

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2004
I am also having this problem, and I can find no solution. Half my contacts show up as only their first name, and and half with both their first name and last name. I am not using the "nickname" field for any of them. Very weird and annoying.

Comment

mlcolorado

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
Colorado
Ok, so I have my iChat set to show the short names of all the contacts, and on most of the people, it works, showing either their first name or their nickname that I have provided

But for some of my contacts, it just doesn't work, it displays their firs and last name...

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Now as we don't know tons about the information you enter into your iChat contacts, this might not be correct, but if you haven't entered the "shortname" or whatever into the contact info then iChat will show something else.

Comment

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
Now as we don't know tons about the information you enter into your iChat contacts, this might not be correct, but if you haven't entered the "shortname" or whatever into the contact info then iChat will show something else.
well some of the people I have entered no nickname for still only have their first name displayed

Comment

johnkornet

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Fixed with a space?

Same here. Still not fixed in 10.5.2. I'm not sure why this works for me, but when I add a space to the nickname in address book, iChat switches to the nickname.

Comment

jbruin152

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It shows the last name only if you have multiple people with the same first name. So if you have two Jessicas, it will show both Jessicas with their last names.

Now my question is: how do I get my full name to not show up in chat windows anymore? (just first name would be preferable)

Comment