iChat, what I saw was not what help said I'd see??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brassband, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Brassband macrumors newbie

I tried setting up iChat in order to talk to the kids and grandkids. It appears that iMac filled in a bunch of stuff automatically. It used my google email address for description and jabber id. It automatically filled in a password. On the tab for server it filled in talk.google.com. iMac didn't ask. I also have a box with Jabber list on the top with my name and 2 icons. One is the video and the other a light bulb. I figured out the video icon. What is the light bulb for?

Is this what I want/need?

It took 3 tries to get it to accept my sons account with Skyper. I'm not sure that it will work until later when they are home.

Before writing this post I searched on iChat and read a bunch of the posts. Am i going to have to get an AIM account. If any of the other kids are on AIM can I add them to my Jabber list or will I need a separate list for them?

Give me spreadsheets and powerpoint, those I understand.

One confused Brassband

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Here's the Apple Support page for setting up and working with iChat. It's pretty straightforward and comprehensive, so it should get you all set up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515

3. Brassband thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the references. I finally found information from a source that states Skype does not work with iChat so I ended up signing up for their service and got to see and talk to the grandsons last night.

I appreciate your help and will check out those references.

Brassband