iChat windows always staying on top - why?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hey,

So in Leopard, my iChat conversations stay above my Safari, Word, etc. apps even when I click on the other application. In Tiger, the iChat would've receded to the back, but they seem to be permanently-hovering windows.

Anyone know a fix? Thanks! :)

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
if i was not on my iphone i would give you the ban hampster, please do not bump

And i believe that a floating ichat is an option in leopard, check ichat prefs
You would think, but Apple doesn't make things an option.

I'm also having the same issue except it's only with certain people I talk to. The windows just stay above above everything. Doesn't happen to everyone, just a select few people I talk to (which actually never did it for them before).

*bump* ;)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
You would think, but Apple doesn't make things an option.

I'm also having the same issue except it's only with certain people I talk to. The windows just stay above above everything. Doesn't happen to everyone, just a select few people I talk to (which actually never did it for them before).

*bump* ;)
Yeah I think that's right! It's only with some people, so strange. Well, Chax should come around soon and fix it...

and janitorC7, i've been around here for a while and i've never known that we can't bump. I just bumped this thread, and if i hadn't I wouldn't know that other people are experiencing the same issue. Let's all be friendly, yeah? :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Yeah I think that's right! It's only with some people, so strange. Well, Chax should come around soon and fix it...

and janitorC7, i've been around here for a while and i've never known that we can't bump. I just bumped this thread, and if i hadn't I wouldn't know that other people are experiencing the same issue. Let's all be friendly, yeah? :)
From the MR Rules:
Minor Problems
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump.
Certainly doesn't justify a ban hamster :p
But, I know the mods appreciate keeping it to a minimum. As long as it's not abused, you're probably fine. Just FYI.

Eluzion

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
So no one else is experiencing this issue? It's very annoying and I'm guessing a bug since there is no option for it and I can't figure out if there's a hot key. Everyone is probably using Adium. ;P

Just had it happen to another person on my buddy list. I closed the chat window and reopened it, problem gone. What the hell, it's so random. Sometimes it won't go away, other times it will.

cheezebob

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I have this problem too. It seems to happen when someone starts a chat with me. I seem to be able to get it to stop happening by closing windows and unchecking and rechecking the some options..i really have no idea if that helps, it does seem pretty random.

I just made a separate space for iChat.

freudianslipper

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
Here's how I fixed this issue

I've fixed this issue by disabling the autoaccept apple script in ichat's preferences.

Preferences > Alerts > Event: Text Invitation

Uncheck Run Applescript if it's checked. It's too bad though because I love auto accept.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I've fixed this issue by disabling the autoaccept apple script in ichat's preferences.

Preferences > Alerts > Event: Text Invitation

Uncheck Run Applescript if it's checked. It's too bad though because I love auto accept.
Just wanted to confirm that this solution worked for me too. Auto-accept on, windows stay on top. Auto-accept off, windows act normal.

I can't find the auto-accept applescript itself (my guess is it's not stored as a file) so I don't know why this is happening, but I've submitted a bug report to Apple.

P.S. This will only happen if the other person starts the chat (and the applescript gets executed). If you start the chat, the window will act as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.