iChat with AIM users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tommyboy9996, Sep 12, 2009.

1. tommyboy9996 macrumors member

tommyboy9996

Hey can anyone help me with video chatting with an aim user? I have been trying to get my video chat with my cousin(aim) and when hit hits accept for the video invitation nothing happens. On my end it just says preview and is waiting for her to accept...she has built in webcam and mic on her dell...any help would be great, thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How much money would I lose if I bet that you are using an AIM account?

3. tommyboy9996 thread starter macrumors member

tommyboy9996

My THread topic says "iChat with Aim user", of course i am not using aim.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

What does that matter? My AIM accounts work fine for video chatting in iChat.

5. sharkethic86 macrumors newbie

everyone i talk to on ichat and have video chatted with is using ichat via an aim account and i've never had a problem communicating back to other people running aim6.. only ever videoed from ichat-ichat though

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have had very mixed success with iChat-to-AIM video chatting. It always seems to be an issue with someone's router, and how the ports are forwarded, etc. Even when you get it to work, it seems like a mixed bag. iChat takes care of all of that for you in an iChat-to-iChat situation.

For anything but iChat-to-iChat video chatting, my suggestions would be to try Skype. I have had much better luck with that.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you do is not what the OP is trying to do. iChat works perfectly with AIM accounts. The OP is trying to chat with AIM users without using an AIM account. That doesn't work so perfectly.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Really? What type of account is the OP trying to chat with?