iChat with PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sky, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Sky macrumors newbie

Hi,

After doing some research, it looks like if I want to use iChat to communicate with a friend who has a PC, he would have to use AIM. Is this correct?

Also, is it possible to establish a video conference between a Mac and a PC?

Thanks! :)

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

As long as the PC user has the most up-to-date version of AIM it should be fine.
    If you don't want to go this route, you might try giving Skype a try, as it is available on both platforms.

3. abercma macrumors newbie

I would go with skype as well. I spent a good deal of time trying to configure routers and firewalls to get ichat to work with AIM for video chatting and never had consistent results. Skype works great for video chat and seems to work well between the two platforms.

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Skype is the best all in one solution and works as every software should.

Many corporations, including the US govt, prohibit the use of Skype, which is a real bummer. If you are among those affected by the restrictions, you are stuck with iChat, which is clumsy and very Apple-unlike in comparison to Skype.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Google Talk is a good clean chat program. No video or cross-platform audio chat though. But if text is all you're looking for then it's great.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga