iChat Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mdragoni1, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mdragoni1 macrumors newbie

Usually every 15-30 minutes or so, I will be disconnected from both of my Jabber accounts. I've searched the Mac discussion forums up and down for a solution to my problem. I've found repeated postings of various router configurations with port forwarding, etc. The problem is that I also use iChat at work and doubt IT will let me go tinker with their servers, opening various ports for iChat. And to be blunt, at home I don't want to. With all the success I have with other Apple applications I've come to expect a higher degree of reliability from my applications and I don't feel like I should have to do so. Only Google Talk and Jabber disconnects, AIM is always fine.

Here's a sample of the error log:

8/6/08 10:54:24 PM iChatAgent[143] WARNING: SocketStream: CFStream error 12/8 occurred on input stream
    8/6/08 10:54:24 PM iChatAgent[143] WARNING: XMLStream: CFStream error 12/8 occurred on input
    8/6/08 10:54:24 PM iChatAgent[143] WARNING: JConnection: Error: Could not connect to server: talk.google.com, type=1, code=8 (I've also received codes 54, & 57)

Any solution other than router reconfiguration?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No suggestions.

Just wanted to add, at least here in Japan and Korea, with regards to video, I've found that iChat is very susceptible to bandwidth fluctuations.

In this regard, Skype seems to be much better at maintaining the connection.

Both work great when the bandwidth is normal between two points, but if it drops, with iChat look out.

3. mdragoni1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Video has fluctuated a little. Once it works, it works. But connectivity seems to be the big issue here.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi