Ichat Wont Play Sound when Receiving IM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by meyer1131, Sep 9, 2008.

1. meyer1131 macrumors regular

My Ichat will not play a sound when I obtain an instant message. When I go into preferences the repeat option is unavailable when I try and click it. Here is a screen shot of it. My volume is turned up.

Attached Files:

2. billmister macrumors 6502

did you have video conference while you were on ichat?... I 'm asking because that has happend to me twice. I dont' know if it was just a small glitch but here's what i did.

I quite ichat and restart it, then i am able to hear the IM's..

BUT when i video conference then the IM's aren't hearable anymore.. Then i finished video chat, closed (NOT quit) the IM's and all the incoming IM's were good again... Since then i haven't had video conference but all the sounds come up without a problem.

If that doesn't work, try shuting down your computer and restarting. I would because i usually put my comptuer to sleep everyday for a week or 2.

Last case senario, check for permissions errors. but that should but all.

3. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

4. billmister macrumors 6502

go to spotlight and type disk utility. then click on the main drive and on the bottom right side it will read verify disk permission and under that it says repair disk permission.

click verify disk permission. if u have errors, once done click repair disk permission.

Good luck

5. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I cant get any sound with iChat either, but when I select the sound I hear it in the preference menu. I signed off/on and also did a restart but still no sound from iChat.

Any ideas?