iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarkW19, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've just tried to get iChat working with Jabber so I can use MSN on it, with the Jabber app "PSI".

It's all worked, except when I launch iChat now I get about 1000 buddy requests "X wants to add you as a buddy", so I have to close each of these 1000 windows individually EVERY time I start iChat!

Does anyone know what I can do to get around this problem? iChat is working fine with my MSN contacts (except their email is displayed, not there MSN display name, strangely)...but having these windows constantly popping up even when I've been through them all once and closed them all, is impossible.

Can anyone help?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and ask a stupid question, with all apologies... are you closing the windows, or are you accepting the requests? That's strange... it should only happen once, if you accept them.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

All the windows only have one option - to click on the red close button to close them. There's no actual "accept/decline" windows coming up, just white bubbles (not the brushed alu ones you get that have the accept/decline buttons in them).

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, really? Any chance of a screenshot? Do they show up like IM bubbles?

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can't seem to upload the screenshot, it just says "uploading" and doesn't go any further!! :mad: A few bubbles are the standard brushed alu accept/decline buddy requests...but the vast majority are just plain white bubbles - if you click directly on the bubble it just disappears, or you can click on the red close button to also close it.

6. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

I don't know how many buddies are on your list but that might explain why you have so many popping up.

In my experience, I rarely, if ever, get those requests. My solution is to either close the window, accept it or reject it. Nothing happens at all because when I first did it, it had all already pulled all my contacts. I usually get a pop up window when it detects that I have an email in my Hotmail inbox. But that's about it for me.

As for the email thing, I don't think there's anything you can do about that. At least in terms of how that person want's/has their name displayed when using regular MSN. I guess the reason for that is that it's not a feature that is supported by AIM/iChat. The way I got around that was by entering their email in to Address Book, or, if you already have a card for that person, just assign the email to that card. It will display whatever name is on the card.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've got about 200 active contacts on my MSN, but another 800 that have been deleted. That would explain the 1000 (well, 928) - it seems it's trying to import all of my contacts, even deleted ones. I just want a way to globally accept all of these Jabber Authorization requests :(

8. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

Yeah I noticed that it tries to import even the deleted ones. But yeah, like I said, just add anyone to your Address Book that hasn't been added yet. But make sure you use the long, funny looking email address that shows up in the iChat Jabber window. That way, iChat will know how to distinguish it from the regular Hotmail address from the Jabber one.

I'm gonna make a screen cap. So give me a sec.

9. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

[​IMG]

That's more or less what it should look like in your address book.

10. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I've added a few entries just like that into my address book.

But the only problem now is all these Jabber Authorization bubbles that don't even go away when I close them!