iChat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Jan 13, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So does anyone think that iChat will be brought to the iPhone. It is very simple, and chats do not use that much bandwidth, so why is Apple holding back. The only choices i have found so far seem like you need to hack your iPhone, which although i take everything apart i find, i am not going to do to my phone.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

ichats would cut into text messages that AT&T charges for. Perhaps at some point apple can convince them that ichat is beneficial.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

well the thing is, sure it will cut into texts, but for most people, they will not have an IM client on their phone, so they still will get their texts.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I expect an AIM client will be one of the first programs released after the SDK comes out, it's just so obvious, and there are already multiple ones available for jailbroken devices.

5. SRSound macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

there will certainly be a chat client released soon after the sdk; however, my hope is for an apple made native iChat client that integrates with the iphone as nicely as the SMS app (with those nice blue info bubbles) AND that integrates with iChat on the mac!

6. CKohkah macrumors 6502

7. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i dont know why you think that it would cut into text messages. Its something to do with the internet not texting.. it would use edge

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Apple: We want people to have iChat
    ATT: No, less text messages sent for us = less money for us = all we care about.

A lot of phones have texting, just the iPhone makes it easier.

if you really want aim, msn, yahoo, on your phone, just use an online web app. it really isn't much different compared to what a built in chat would be like...

I have a jailbroken iPhone with Apollo installed, and i still use www.meebo.com

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I would love to see iChat on the iPhone. It is one of the few things it is missing that I actually care about. I don't think the issue is over text messages either. I had AIM on my Motorola and my LG phones and neither one of them charged me text messages for going on AIM and talking. I am wondering if there might be an issue with AIM not wanting Apple to release a mobile version of iChat. Pretty much everyone I know uses an AIM name with their iChat and maybe it is an issue of AIM not wanting iChat to use AIM in a mobile version. I don't know how the whole legal thing works with AIM and all, but this is just a guess as to why there may not be an iChat on iPhone. I really don't see any other reason. If Apple is planning on having iPhone around for the many years to come, a mobile version of iChat would be something important to develop.

The one other thing I see is Apple already having mobile iChat developed, but waiting to release it. Apple is releasing an SDK soon and will then allow third party apps. It would make sense for Apple to release their own important apps, such as iChat, before other developers release something that does the same thing. I am thinking Apple might release their own apps like iChat to the general public before they allow 3rd party apps. They could even release these apps in the same way they plan on releasing the 3rd party apps in order to allow users an opportunity to see how 3rd party apps will be distributed. This would also make sense because not all users will want iChat on their phone. I am guessing Apple will release all the apps in iTunes, so this way makes sense to me.

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I think Apple has realized this, and are working hard developing and polishing an iChat client on the iPhone...

Remember how Sidekicks took off due to the AIM functionality? I think Apple is gearing up for something big :)

11. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I remember when IM clients first came to singular. Messages where sent as text. Later they removed the native apps though they did re appear later.

Almost all installed im apps for phones weather packed in or extra use DATA for transmission now.

iChat probably just has a few bugs that apple wants to work out before porting it.

That and they may be revamping the .mac im servers for perhaps a free .mac instant messaging service to be used over iPhones.

The most likely senario i see is perhaps mac not wanting to have to convert text messages into im packets via their servers and having to drop or heavily augment support for Jabber.

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

But in the Apple / AT&T relationship, Apple are wearing the trousers. If Apple want iChat in there they'll be able to do it. I imagine the financial loss from replaced text message would hit apple too - don't they get a cut from contract fees too?

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

It's a set percentage of a set fee. Apple will make the same per plan, in fact AT&T would be better off due to less traffic going through their network (although if someone used EDGE then it'd be less texting traffic but more internet...

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

The thing is...almost every phone as some sort of AIM client on them. Why the iPhone doesn't seems to be apples choice, not AT&T. Just my $.02.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

That's a pain, though. Every time you get out of safari, you have to wait for it to reload, worry about it disconnecting, etc. I'd MUCH rather have iChat built in.

Besides, isn't it only $20 each for unlimited text and unlimited data?

16. ahand macrumors member

i was pretty sure that the unlimited data plan covers ims. this is the thing i'm really hoping comes out, either through an official ichat client from apple or a third party (adium mobile anyone?) app released when the SDK is.

17. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

To make it clear to anybody.
    Instant Messenger use the "internet" thus the data connection with edge. As you have a flatrate AT&T can not charge you for sending messages using IChat.
    SMS are handled through GSM and are accounted by AT&T. They thus generate revenue.

If everybody starts using IMs on their phones, no one will use SMS anymore. Thus the revenue for AT&T is lowered. That is why most Sony Ericsson phones that are equipped with the Wireless Village client do not have this feature in their branded version.
    Aol/ICQ/Google could not care less what client you are using. (To some extend at least)

18. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

ichat works with aim...

19. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

The $20 iPhone plan has unlimited EDGE, but only 200 texts. More so i want to be able to communicate with ppl online, who not necessarily want me texting them on their phone.

20. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I dont get it, maybe there is something im missing, but they dont care if you use them, they want you to go over i guess, but you already payed for them. Having an AIM client wouldnt hurt them (i dont think) so yeah. Thats my reasoning, now point out all the flaws in it!:D

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I pay $40 a month for unlimited texts and unlimited data (edge).

I desperately want iChat on the iPhone.

22. jvanlee1 macrumors member

iChat

When I want to chat, I use the phone app. Works great.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah

Look at you, all making a funny.

Nice.

24. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Im not exactly sure how to do this, but someone mentioned Chatting on IM using Text messages, and since you have unlimited, it wouldnt be too bad. Let me try to find the link...

25. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Some providers already support MSN, and maybe AOL, via SMS.