iChat

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by domcole, Feb 6, 2009.

1. domcole macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm getting my Macbook 2.4GHz in a few weeks time and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with iChat?

I currently use MSN on my Windows PC and I'm need a change of address. So...

1/ Can I make a free account to use with iChat?

2/ Can I add people with Windows or Mac MSN Messenger?

Any help would be appreciated as always.
    Dom.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

1. You can get mobile me and use that on iChat, even when your subscription ends. Only thing is you won't be able to access the email anymore.
    2. Unfortunately no.

People here are going to tell you to use Adium, but I'm telling you no. I used to use Windows Live when I didn't have a Mac as well, and I hate Adium for one thing = I can't send custom emoticons. You can receive them, but can't send them. So if you really need to send them, then don't get it.

The actual MSN made for Mac doesn't have webcam support, so you might wanna look into Mercury or aMSN, but I would also recommend against those as well because the UI is ugly as hell and it's slow.

3. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

The previous poster said you shouldn't use Adium for a silly reason. I personally think Adium is awesome, i use Adium to connect to MSN and Facebook chat and it works perfectly and the UI is extremely customizable. Major downfall is that you can't do webcam/video chat, but thats about it.

It's better than Mac Messenger in my opinion.

4. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Right okay, thanks. Is there a subscription fee for Mobile Me?

5. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

I'm not sure, but for iChat i use my googlemail account, it works perfectly. (like i can video chat, screenshare, conference etc with all my friends who have Macs)

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

How's that a silly reason? If Adium supported it, then I would be using it...

I haven't used it in a while, but did they finally add support for personal messages in MSN? (Not your actual name, there's a secondary name you can add)

Just curious, have you done ANY research at all? I just went through all your threads and you keep making threads on topics that have been discussed a billion times.