Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
is there iTalk yet in iChat? you know, where you can communicate via voice instead of typing?

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
bastards...the PC has excelled in frr dial-up and telephone.

I guess that's the free market though

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
actually, it is my humbe opinion that iChat is probably the best chat client out there. i used it at the apple store the other day and i was thoroughly impressed. i went in to the store expecting the absolute least from iChat of all Jaguar features. i left the store excited the MOST about iChat and its interface.

mattpen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
yeah i love it too, especially the ability to put a picture next to their names, as well as being able to group sn's. But does anyone know how to change the info?

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
ichat and icq

do you think it will be possible for developers to make a patch or something that would allow iChat to access ICQ users or MSN? I saw iChat in action the other day and it is much less annoying then it looks in the pictures, it's actually quite cool.... I just have WAY more friends on ICQ than on AIM....

any ideas?

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
iChat is an excellent piece of software. I especially like the ability to chat over Airport or Ethernet networks without going through the internet. Runs great on my 500MHz iBook running 10.2 build 6C106

aznatari

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2002
NJ
ichat looks so dumb. Stick with the original AIM from aim.com, or go with the new Adium. Download that at versiontracker.com

Go With Adium!

atari

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
iChat is cool

Much better than anything else on the market and wait till apple adds more features like talk and video. They are sitting on a possible killer app.

I don't know how to change my info. Its strange that it is not there... Also, did you notice that as soon as you talk on Rendezvous, that persons VCard gets passed to you address book. That is so neat. In fact, Address Book is cool too. It runs perfectly on 6C115 on an iBook 500

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
wow. im surprised to hear so many people who are impressed with ichat.

this concerns me.

although it is clearly the worst apple app ever, it also seems to be the worst AIM client as well. its scary to think that people find it acceptable.

im curious. have those of you who like ichat used any other instant messenger before? im wodering if maybe you just are unfamiliar with how good all the other IM applications are. ichat seems completely devoid of features and brings absolutely nothing new to the IM market. if you are please with ichat i think adium, fire, proteus (maybe even aim) will completely blow you away.

i suppose though, that iapps are not made for the computer savy and are not meant to compete with other apps in the market. they are merely there for users who do not ask or expect much from their computers. and just will use whatever is already on the machine as long as it meets a very meager minimum standard of functionality.

this is upsetting because i assumed apple would improve ichat quickly, assuming that the outcry over its terrible design and functionality. but it seems there will be no outcry. :(

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
hmmm lets see...i've used:

Adium: good but the support dropped off, and the one mode i was going to use the most was simply given up on it seems. doesn't support mac.com names

Fire.app: Another good alternative, but has always had same nagging issues. One interface option, and it hangs like crazy any time it runs into connection problems. did like the eye candy of flashing windows doesn't support mac.com names

AOL AIM: Piece of crap. Slow, buggy, not customizable in the right areas, too customizable in the wrong ones. overall clunky and unimpressive.

Proteus: Always has been a promising app, never has delivered. Basically dead in the water altho this guy goes on hacking sprees sometimes. never quite gets his services to work properly. doesn't support mac.com names

iChat: My pick. I played with it for about 10 whole minutes and I knew it was going to be the surprise app for me. It seems to be responsive, has build in Rendezvous support, has a clean interface that is in the mode of the iApps. You can turn the eye candy off. Integrated with Address Book and Mail. Icon to go along with Airport, Battery, etc. click and drag file X-Fer!! I was extremely impressed.

Anyways that was my $0.99

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
personally i like adium.. but the one thing that psisses me off the most is buddy list support -- in every single client ive tested (cept for aols) i always dont see a few buddies on my list... i can im them.. but that really bugs me.. i dont think this affects others cause i have 198 buddies on my list...

personally i like adium the most, but i like iChat a lot, too, just cause of how responsive it is.. but im sad to say it, but the best client ive ever used is aols on the pc -- it is very responsive, and is very easy to use and everything..

just my 2 cents...

-f

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: iChat

Originally posted by mattpen
How do you create an info for urself in iChat?

You need to go into the address book and create a card with your own info. I would suggest a dummy card so that you don't give everything away. Then, there is a menu option to mark it as the "me" card. I don't have 10.2 active or I'd go look for it. Once you designate it as you and put in the AIM i.d. and password, you're set to use it.

You can add information about your friends through address cards as well.

AmbitiousLemon:

After using ICQ, AIM, MSN Messenger, and Fire, I find that iChat isn't so bad although it's a bit too cute. The nicest feature is the drag-and-drop file transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.