IclinePro - Anybody Using It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stomplex, Aug 17, 2008.

1. stomplex macrumors member

So I went to one of those office superstore type places and gravitated toward the laptop accessories dept. where the VERY small selection of cooling stand/platforms was displayed. They were relatively cheap so I said what the heck, let's try one.

I don't care about USB fans or anything like that. My two concerns are as follows:

1) Get the machine off of flat surfaces in order to facilitate airflow underneath.
    2) Get the machine off my lap! I spend alot of time with the machine on my lap and the heat gets downright uncomfortable very quickly.

The relatively cheap platform that I bought is good ergonomically but doesn't seem to help cool the machine any better.

Being somewhat of a tinkerer and fabricator, I started thinking about how I could improve upon this idea and what I came up with in my mind's eye looked exactly like this: :eek:

Darn it!! :mad: All the good ideas always seem to be taken :mad:

Anyway, this thing looks awesome! :cool:

Anybody using one?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yeah, that's what I thought. You should look at the gallery of photos for it and it looks very chincey by itself (not under the Mac).

The Fin is only $39.95 (also a bit pricey, but solid) and much less than the InclinePro.

5. stomplex thread starter macrumors member

WOW, the fins up gadget looks great!

Only problem is, if I got that, the MBP would no longer fit in the incase sleeve I have nor would it fit in my backpack.

I got one of those Boblbe-e hard shell back packs because I wanted to be able to do outdoorsy stuff while I'm on call. The MBP fits snugly in a pouch within the shell in order to keep it secure - I'd pretty much have to get hit by a bus to damage it and then I'd have bigger problems :D

The 17" MBP barely fits anyway so there's no-way it would fit in there with that fin on it.

Too bad because that is by far the best design I have seen :cool:

As for price, compared to the other products I've seen, it seems relatively reasonable. It appears to be exquisitely engineered with premium grade materials.

I don't think that it would be chincey in the least bit. To the contrary, those aluminum rails are probably very rigid and the joints are secured with allen bolts. I believe that it would have remarkable strength.

Thanks for the replies though.

I really like the fins up. If I didn't need the other accessories I mentioned, which were expensive, I would jump on that.

Now that think of it: it would likely fit in my incase sleeve but not in the back pack.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

It's all about the RoadTools CoolPad. I have one that's outlived every laptop I've had since my PowerBook Pismo. Perfect product, as far as I'm concerned. I bought their updated one, just to check it out, and I use it at home always with the MBP.

There is also something similar to the other things mentioned that's made by PowerSupport USA.

7. stomplex thread starter macrumors member

I almost got the RoadTools CoolPad but didn't like the fact that it doesn't have a front "lip" to retain the computer sliding off. I would like to have tried it to see how it feels..

As for the other link, I like the heat sink which is similar in design to the fins up, but I think it says you put it on with adhesive :eek: plus it presents the same problem as the fin when it comes to putting it in my back pack.

8. gr8bob macrumors regular

A bit off topic, but is it me or is the MacBook Pro on the site doesn't have a FW800 port on it?

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Lol good point, just noticed that. Maybe an older model? I'm not sure what pre-Penryn ones looked like.

10. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The first edition MBP only had FW400.

11. stomplex thread starter macrumors member

So I got the InclinePro!

It's sweet :D

It is not "chincey" at all!

As I expected, it is rigid, machined aluminum. You would have to try to break it and it would probably take some serious effort to do so.

Yes, I agree, it is expensive but it is a high quality product.

Short of making it myself, I don't know where I would find such a thing.

Thumbs up :cool: