iCloud activation lock can be reversed..

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by apollo1444, May 29, 2014.

1. apollo1444, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014

apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Looks like it's finally happening

I feel sick at these people doing this ****, I got robbed a year ago some **** took an iPhone 5 right from my hands, it took me 6 months to get another one, I hope apple destroys them and leaves them with nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJMSWc7FiU&feature=youtu.be

2. pmau macrumors 65816

Bad idea for various reasons.

By modifying the hosts file as described in the video, you might be sending private information to a site you know nothing about.

What if the Apple-ID is included in iTunes activation payload?

You don't know what happening during activation, but the site operators might be able to gather valuable information.

I would never use that ... but you can probably decide for yourself.

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Activation Lock is SERVER SIDE.

Devices that "bypass" it with any method cannot actually be activated and used as a phone. No calling, no text, no cellular.

It temporarily bypasses the lock-out on the device, allowing you to use an iPhone as an iPod touch (WiFi-only). If you attempt to restore again you'll find Activation Lock is still in place, requiring this pseudo-bypass again (which still won't get cellular working).

4. apollo1444 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't want people with these kinds of iPhones to use them as anything f< this **** really, i love how they pray for no thieves on their website and people all over twitter post pictures of 5, 6 iPhones or more activated (as iPods) or whatever it ends up being, do you believe people got scammed 6 plus times?

i'm annoyed so bad

5. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a stolen phone never used by the wrong person, but I would assume the phone contacts the server (in this case a fake one), requesting to be activated, and the fake server says yes. At that point I don't see why the phone wouldn't think it was fully activated.

6. pmau macrumors 65816

The reason for the SIM PIN is that the phone should not register at the cell tower before that trick. The IMEI would indicate the phone is not activated.

Activation check is based on IMEI and an unlocked SIM would prevent the host trick from happening.

Once iTunes tells the phone that it is activated, the phone will take care of the rest.

No SIM doesn't work, because iTunes does not activate phones without a SIM.

And no, activation is happening on the phone, iTunes just needs to confirm to the (connected) phone that it should activate itself.