iCloud activation lock - questions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jemma6, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jemma6, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

Jemma6 macrumors newbie

I am just grasping at straws now... I've tried everything.

I bought an iphone 5 off craigslist from a private seller. ( Yes, thank you. I realize this is not the greatest idea. It was a money thing. I could afford 300 for a phone, not 900).
    We took the phone to Bell (my carrier) to make sure it wasn't stolen (it wasn't). When I got home, he'd left his icloud locked (the find-my-iphone feature, so it was asking for his apple ID/email, and password). I contacted him before he left town, he said he couldn't remember the password but to try a few suggestions. I tried those but it didn't work. He's left the country permanently now, and I can no longer contact him. I am certain that my fancy paperweight is just that.. but thought I'd check somewhere, one last time.

my question: Would a company like chronic unlocks be able to bypass the icloud activation so that I can use the phone???

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Nope, there is nothing you can do to unlock it.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Sell it for parts and at least try to recover some of your money. Then buy from Apple so you know what you are getting.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

As others have said, you are out luck, unless by. stroke of genius you get his id and password.

6. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Yeah the phone is done. Sell it as a parts unit.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Don't waste any more money paying for unlocks online, none of them work.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's amazing how many craigslist sellers "forget" "their" passwords.

I guess you bought a stolen phone which is now a paperweight. Lesson learned: don't give $300 to thieves.

9. itjw macrumors 65816

iTJW's Guide to Buying Used iDevices:

Step 1) Check to see if device is iCloud locked

If no, Step 2) Link device to your iCloud ASAP and enjoy

If yes, Step 2) Have seller remove the lock

If seller can "remember" info, Step 3) See Steps 1& 2

If seller cannot "remember" info, Step 3) Take $$$ and LEAVE

Problems solved worldwide. iTJW is an international hero thanks to this shocking and unexpected insight into buying used iDevices. He should charge $9.99 for the guide, but he's so swell he gives it away for FREE on MR!!!

You're welcome =)

Sorry to hear OP. Sell it for parts and use the guide for next time.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, checking it with the carrier to make sure it's not blacklisted is a good idea too--which is something OP actually did, although not the Activation Lock part. That said, the phone can be blacklisted later on too by the original/previous owner, so there's always that pretty much ongoing risk, unfortunately.

11. 1981d macrumors regular

Maybe Apple could change the standard welcome message from "hello" to " Make sure I'm not iCloud locked before giving money to craigslist/ebay bandits"

Or on start up all iCloud locked phones could say "I belong to.... and can't be activated"

Just a thought.

12. 617aircav Suspended

Did you even read the original post?

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yes. No genuine seller "forgets" their password and then disappears.

14. nox5 macrumors 6502

The OP said they took iPhone to Bell yet no one try to reset and activate it with Bell sim. You know, just to make sure the iPhone works. No common sense at all.

15. 617aircav Suspended

I sell a lot on Craigslist and I'll tell you most people will just pay you and walk away. No test calls, no checking if the camera, GPS etc work. Amazing ignorance.

16. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

This is so true. I sold a phone one time and the guy must have been nervous or something because he didn't even glance at the phone, just handed me the money and took the phone. I could have given him anything, lol.

----------

You need to sell it for parts online and recoup some of your money. The phone is literally an iPod Touch now.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not even useful for that.

18. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Ah, you got me. I forgot it was activation locked. In that case yeah OP is screwed.

19. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

You are probably right, but I will say that I sold 2 T-Mobile iPhone 5C's that I had unlocked. They were completely paid off on EIP, but my craigslist buyer still insisted on meeting at a T-Mobile store to verify. It annoyed me a little, but these days, I get where a buyer is coming from.

20. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Icloud activation lock - questions!

Unfortunately. You are stuck with a paperweight. Lucky for you, it's worth a bit of money for parts. I'd sell it for parts.

Unknown to you, you probably bought a device that the seller either found or stole. Nothing you can do about it. You got unlucky. Be more careful next time. Just for your information - a non activation locked one would NEVER sell for only $300. Likely around double. If the deal is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's not common sense to do that because activation lock isn't yet common knowledge. Apple published the steps for a buyer and seller to perform but folks simply go out and buy one like they always have.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair common sense in general is anything but common, but it still doesn't really change that what's part of it is still basically common sense.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, common sense is very rare nowadays.
    It is common sense as far as I know to research and learn what you're getting yourself into before you go and buy it and ask questions later.
    That's with everything in general and not just the iphone activation lock.
    Just because you didn't know about something it doesn't mean you should just go out and purchase blindly.
    Unless you want to waste your money then go for it.

24. 617aircav Suspended

I agree with this. I never buy anything without researching it first. Ill never even buy based on the words of an in store salesman.